Re: sound distortion on some Timeless & Retrieval CDs

  • aclassicjazzfan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2005
      My thanks to Michael, Bob, & Patrice for their quick responses to my
      inquiry. I had a hunch that the sound distortion had something to do
      with the manufacturing process AFTER John RT worked his usual magic.
      I forgot to point out, as Michael did, that several songs that sound
      distorted on "Odds & Bits" sound fine on Jazz Oracle. Like Michael,
      I too returned what I thought were defective CDs to the manufacturer
      (Timeless), which kindly sent me replacement copies but they had the
      same problem. This sound problem is unfortunate because many of
      these tracks are so good. Still, these CDs are certainly listenable,
      and in light of all the wonderful music that Timeless, Retrieval,&
      other such producers have given to people like us, I feel somewhat
      ashamed even to have raised this issue.

      Gerard

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Rader"
      <Rader.Michael@w...> wrote:
      > Gerard, all
      >
      > I know exactly what you mean and also have the three CDs you
      mention with the same effects, which I would describe as "ripping"
      sounds. Another CD which I think is similarly affected is "The Young
      Nat Gonella" on Retrieval. If I recall correctly, the distortion
      isn't on all tracks. In the case of the Jack Hylton, I even exchanged
      it at the manufacturer's (Challenge), but the same effects are on the
      replacement copy. My guess is that it's an imperfection introduced at
      the mastering stage, which wasn't necessarily the responsibility of
      John RT Davies. Davies probably provided the DAT Tapes used for
      mastering, meaning that he played the records (selecting proper
      styli) and reduced noise. Retrieval credits someone called Will
      Heesen for mastering.

      > The distortion isn't anything to do with the records since the
      Charley Straight recordings on the "Odds and Bits" are also on Jazz
      Oracle which doesn't have the same effects.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 20, 2005
        Gerard,

        There's no need to feel guilty for raising this question. I know for a fact that some CDs have been delayed due to last-minute quality problems, for instance on Jazz Oracle. Timeless and Retrieval are part of larger organisations which should have professional quality control.

        I've now copied one of the CDs to hard drive and made a CD copy but can't yet say if the fault disappears. More tomorrow, after I've had the opportunity to listen to the tracks on loudspeakers.

        Cheers

        Michael

        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2005
          on 19/5/05 18:12, Fitzpatrick, Gerard at gfitzpatrick@... wrote:

          > Could any group members explain the sound distortion on 3 CDs that I own?
          > One is from Retrieval ("Hot Hylton") & 2 are from Timeless
          > ("Brunswick/Vocalion Odds & Bits" & the second disk from the 2-CD set
          > "Clarence Williams & His Orchestra, vol. 1, 1933-1934").

          My copy of the latter is certainly also afflicted. It's obvious why I had
          never noticed. I play mono records in true mono and in mono it is hardly
          noticeable, which may also explain why the producers didn't spot it.

          I probably never would have noticed it as anything other than a surprisingly
          high surface noise level in places if I hadn't been prompted. Playing in
          stereo does of course make it obvious that the noises are extraneous and
          makes them very irritating.

          Now I have noticed I think I'll be hanging on to those Swaggie LPs!