Re: [RedHotJazz] Edison Hot Dance Obscurities, vol. 2

    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2005
      Jazz Oracle is often behind with its web site and Worlds Records tends to be extremely quick - note, however, that the CD is still listed under "coming soon". The latest *available* JO is the double Wilbur Sweatman. The Frog Perry Bradford also listed under "coming soon" by Worlds has been available from source for some time already, and the two new Timeless - the second Perry Bradford to complement the Frog and a "young Benny Goodman" - are also available from Timeless.

      Is anyone familiar with the Oreste sides on the Edison CD? Some indication of what they are like would be very useful.

      Michael Rader

      > Being new to the group, I don't know if anyone has mentioned that Jazz
      > Oracle is about to release volume 2 of "Edison Hot Dance Obscurities."
      > While JO's website makes no mention of it, a picture of the disk appears on
      > the cover of the latest catalog from Worldsrecords & their website has the
      > track list <www.worldsrecords.com>.
      >
      > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

    • aclassicjazzfan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
        I'm passing on information I received from John Wilby of Jazz Oracle
        concerning their new release.

        Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        Hi Gerard:

        The Edison CD is now available ... we're a little behind in getting
        the
        website updated. It features a selection of the hotter sides by
        Oreste and
        His Queensland Orchestra. You'll find the details below.

        Regards,
        John

        Oreste and His Queensland Orchestra

        Oreste Migliaccio (p) directing a group probably drawn from: Frank
        McNellis-Tom Kells (t), Jack King (tb), Lou Savarese and another
        (reeds),
        Hal Stumkoff (ts), Ralph Esposito (bjo), Joe Tarto (bb), Joe Curran
        (d). It
        is possible that Red Nichols (t), Miff Mole (tb) and Jimmy Dorsey
        (cl,as),
        either individually or together, augmented the band on this date.
        New York, October 13, 1926
        1. 11214-F Ev'rything's Peaches (For Peaches And Me)
        (Harry D. Squires) Edison 51857

        Oreste Migliaccio (p) directing probably: Frank McNellis-Tom Kells
        (t), Jack
        King (tb), Lou Savarese-?Jimmy Dorsey or Don Murray (reeds), Hal
        Stumkoff
        (ts), Ralph Esposito (bjo), Joe Tarto (bb), Joe Curran (d), Arthur
        Fields
        (v). Jimmy Dorsey and/or Don Murray are included as possible
        participants
        based on the report by Lou Savarese that they were used on some
        sessions;
        there is nothing audible on these sides to suggest their presence.
        New York, November 19, 1926
        2. 11322-B Thinking Of You (I've Grown So Lonesome)
        (Walter Donaldson-Paul Ash)-vAF Edison 51885
        3. 11323-A Hello! Swanee-Hello! (Sam Coslow and
        Addy Britt) -vAF Edison 51886

        Jack Davis (t,v) replaces McNellis.
        New York, March 24, 1927
        4. 11603-A I'm Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover (Mort Dixon
        and Harry Woods) -vJD Edison 51983

        Jack Kaufman-J. Donald Parker (v).
        New York, May 4, 1927
        5. 11684-C High Hat Harry (Jack Lesoir, Ray Doll &
        Kenneth Casey) -vJK Edison 52017
        6. 11685-A Rosy Cheeks (Seymour Simons &
        Richard A. Whiting) -vJDP Edison 52017

        New York, June 24, 1927
        7. 11763-A She's Got "It!" (Benny Davis-Harry Akst-L. Wolfe
        Gilbert) -vAF Edison 52058

        Unknown (Jew's harp) added.
        New York, July 29, 1927
        8. 11823-A Eyeful Of You (Al Dubin & J. Fred Coots) -vAF Edison
        52087

        Unknown (bar) added.
        New York, November 25, 1927
        9. 18059-C I'm Walkin' On Air (---) -vJK Test
        10. 18060-B When The Morning Glories Wake Up In The Morning (Then
        I'll Kiss Your Two Lips Good-Night) (---) -vJK Test

        New York, December 9, 1927
        11. 18095-A I'm Walkin' On Air (Wm. Tracey and Dan
        Dougherty) -vJDP Edison 52167
        12. 18096-A When The Morning Glories Wake Up In The Morning
        (Then I'll Kiss Your Two Lips Good-Night)
        (Billy Rose and Fred Fisher) -vJDP Edison 52169
        Note: The vocalist is credited to "Happy Jack" on Edison 52167 and
        52169.

        As above, but Lou Auglieri (reeds) replaces Savarese. Jimmy Dorsey
        may be
        the second reedman on this side. The Songsters (Vic Hall & Ken
        Christie)
        (v).
        New York, February 1, 1928
        13. 18159-H Danger! (Look Out For That Gal) (Chas. O'Flynn &
        Eddie Kilfeather) -vS Edison 52214

        Dorsey and Murray, if present before, are now omitted; Bert Dixon
        (v).
        New York, March 26,1928
        14. 18336-C Lila (Archie Gottler-Charles Tobias-Maceo
        Pinkard) -vBD Edison 52273
        15. 18337-C Borneo (Walter Donaldson) -vBD Edison 52272

        Unknown (ocarina) added.
        New York, August 23, 1928
        16. 18675-A Anything You Say! (Walter Donaldson) -vJDP Edison 52383
        Note: The vocalist is credited to "Happy Jack" on Edison 52383.

        Theo. Alban (v).
        New York, December 5, 1928
        17. 18920-B Where The Shy Little Violets Grow (Gus Kahn-
        Harry Warren)-vTA Edison 52560
        18. 18921-B Cross Roads (Klages-Axt-Mendoza) -vTA Edison 52466

        The Rollickers (usually Arthur Hall, John Ryan, Ed Smalle)(v).
        New York, May 17, 1929
        19. 19199-A Me And The Clock (Tick-i-ty Tock And You)
        (Meskill-Mann-Wendling) -vR Edison 52592

        John Wilby
        1 Reid Manor
        Toronto, ON
        Canada M8Y 2H8