Re: [RedHotJazz] Distortion on Clarence Williams CD's

    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2005
      > each .wav files

      Grrr! "all" .wav files ;)))
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2005
        Bob,

        Gerard was referring to the CDs rather than the original recordings themselves. The same faults aren'ton any LPs that I'm aware of and they're almost certainly due to some flaw in the process of transferring to CD.

        I'll try Patrice's suggestion this evening, at least on one track to see if the fault is removed. Before I returned the Jack Hylton to Challenge, I did a straight copy from CD drive to burner (not knowing if Challenge would send anything in return). The fault was still there on the copy - if it persists, it should be visible in any graphic representation of the .wav file.

        The two Timeless affected are from the same period, but I'm not sure about the Challenge. Timeless only credits audio restoration and doesn't specifically mention mastering, which is a different step and can be done by a different person altogether.

        Musical content: some of the Jack Hylton recordings are surprisingly good.

        Best wishes

        Michael