Re: [RedHotJazz] Distortion on Clarence Williams CD's

    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2005
      I am absolutely not sure of the suggestion, but if the scratches sound like
      the ones that sometimes occur on a badly *copied* CD, the sound files
      themselves might be intact, and the writing errors only occur in the
      structure - whatever they're called, the invisible control files that make
      it an audio CD.
      I happened to "rescue" some faulty CD's by just extracting each .wav files
      and burning them again. Might be worth trying (once the file has been
      extracted, you can instantly hear if the noise is still there or not)

      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2005
        > each .wav files

        Grrr! "all" .wav files ;)))
        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2005
          Bob,

          Gerard was referring to the CDs rather than the original recordings themselves. The same faults aren'ton any LPs that I'm aware of and they're almost certainly due to some flaw in the process of transferring to CD.

          I'll try Patrice's suggestion this evening, at least on one track to see if the fault is removed. Before I returned the Jack Hylton to Challenge, I did a straight copy from CD drive to burner (not knowing if Challenge would send anything in return). The fault was still there on the copy - if it persists, it should be visible in any graphic representation of the .wav file.

          The two Timeless affected are from the same period, but I'm not sure about the Challenge. Timeless only credits audio restoration and doesn't specifically mention mastering, which is a different step and can be done by a different person altogether.

          Musical content: some of the Jack Hylton recordings are surprisingly good.

          Best wishes

          Michael