RE: [RedHotJazz] Trumpet /Trombone Doubles was Blind Willie's Gin

    Message 1 of 69 , May 7, 2007
      Discogs indeed show Dorsey tpt on 'Back To Back ' but I do not have. Can
      anybody report on the style ?

      The Goodman Boys 'Jungle Blues' is an interesting session --and I agree
      Goodman, who solos on tpt at about 2-27, does sound similar here to
      McPartland -- with this title an obvious attempt at 'black' sound, with
      McPartland in wa-wa and Goodman in growl although the result is hardly
      racially ambiguous. 'Shirttail Stomp' on this session is also a parody --in
      this case of Ted Lewis with also a nudge at the already old fashioned
      ODJB -- at least 10 years out of date.

      Dan, I somewhat defend Carter's trumpet playing, especially
      early --Chocolate Dandies and into the 30s. Where and when did you hear him
      on trombone ?

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 21, 2008
        I may have found the relationship between King Oliver and Dave Nelson.

        Oliver married Estelle "Stella" Dominick in 1911.

        Dave Nelson was born Davidson C. Nelson in Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish, in about 1902, a son of Daniel C. Nelson and his (second) wife, Ella E. Nelson, both school teachers. Ella was born May 1873, according to the 1900 census.

        The 1920 census shows Dave's parents in New Orleans, with Daniel's father-in-law, Jacob Davison (sic: aged 74) living with them. It seems that Davidson was Ella's maiden name and that the family name inspired Dave's given name.

        However in the 1880 census, Ella Davidson (aged 7) was living with the family of John Dominic (50), his wife Francis (sic: 23) and their son Andrew (3). Her relationship to the family is not stated but she was possibly a relative of Frances.

        So, the relationship between Joe Oliver and Dave Nelson seems to be through the Dominic(k) family connection. Precisely what the relationship is, is still unknown.

        Bob

        Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au