RE: [RedHotJazz] Blind Willie's Gin

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 69 , May 6 3:00 PM
      The Blind Willie Dunn recordings I spoke of didn't have Dorsey on trumpet but I have some others on Brunswick where Tommy Dorsey did double the instrument.One was a recording on OKeh of "Hot Heels".These recordings were on the early 1960s album "Stringin' the Blues" on Columbia circa 1962.I think the other recording that is running thru my mind was called "Freeze and Melt".On a side note,has anyone out there ever heard Hoagy Carmichael solo on trumpet?Sudhalter alluded to an incident in his book on Bix where Hoagy and Bix stop their car,get out their horns and started blowing.I know of one Victor 78 circa 1934 where he played.I think the recording was on Red Hot Jazz's website.

      David Brown <johnhaleysims@...> wrote: Searching for Dorsey trumpet, I have alighted upon the Cotton Pickers
      sessions of 1929. The session of 27 March --surely also racially
      ambiguous -- has trumpet work extremely close to that on the Willies. I
      especially cite the muted trumpet solo at about 1-08 on ' Rampart Street
      Blues' (A). Is there any doubt this is Dorsey ?

      My Rust has Carmichael and Lambert as vocal on 'Saint Louis Gal' who it is
      certainly not. I guess then it is Holman & Hare ?

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 21, 2008
        I may have found the relationship between King Oliver and Dave Nelson.

        Oliver married Estelle "Stella" Dominick in 1911.

        Dave Nelson was born Davidson C. Nelson in Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish, in about 1902, a son of Daniel C. Nelson and his (second) wife, Ella E. Nelson, both school teachers. Ella was born May 1873, according to the 1900 census.

        The 1920 census shows Dave's parents in New Orleans, with Daniel's father-in-law, Jacob Davison (sic: aged 74) living with them. It seems that Davidson was Ella's maiden name and that the family name inspired Dave's given name.

        However in the 1880 census, Ella Davidson (aged 7) was living with the family of John Dominic (50), his wife Francis (sic: 23) and their son Andrew (3). Her relationship to the family is not stated but she was possibly a relative of Frances.

        So, the relationship between Joe Oliver and Dave Nelson seems to be through the Dominic(k) family connection. Precisely what the relationship is, is still unknown.

        Bob

        Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au