RE: [RedHotJazz] Trumpet /Trombone Doubles was Blind Willie's Gin

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 69 , May 6, 2007
      I remember reading about Tommy Dorsey playing trumpet on a 1939 Victor recording called "Back to Back".I forgot about Elman:I had either read or heard that when he rejoined Dorsey in 1944,he came back into the band playing baritone sax.Brad Gowans allegedly played sax on Bobby Hackett's 1938 and '39 recordings.Benny Carter was another one I heard playing trombone.Whether or not it was valve or slide,I do not know.Carter's trombone tone was quite good whereas his sound on trumpet was on the thin side as was Dorsey's.Dorsey cut a couple sides for OKeh in 1928,"Tiger Rag,You Can't Cheat a Cheater,It's Right Here for You",with Eddie Lang and his sound was shakey.All of this comes back to a prior discussion regarding Benny Goodman doubling cornet in the late '20s.He was heard on a 1928 Brunswick recording(6/4/28)of "Jungle Blues".I still can't tell any difference between his work and that of Jimmy McPartland who was on that particular date.

      David Brown <johnhaleysims@...> wrote: The quality of Dorsey's tpt is remarkable. I know of no other trb. doubling
      tpt. -- or not seriously. Can anybody find one ? There are several reed
      players who doubled but I think the problem of switching embouchure and/or
      mouthpiece, tpt to trb, must be considerable. Maybe there is a brass player
      who can comment ?

      Brad Gowans earlier played cornet, and clarinet, but did not I think play
      cornet and trombone at the same period of his career. Jabbo Smith also at
      one time played valve trombone but I think this was due to technical
      problems. I think he finally reverted exclusively to tpt.

      I have also, in younger, more innocent days, seen Chris Barber play trumpet
      but, as I remember, he used his trombone mouthpiece. Is this possible ?

      Dave

      PS Just remembered Ziggy Elman :- ' Throughout his career Ziggy
      occasionally did section work on instruments other than trumpet i.e.
      clarinet, baritone sax and trombone' also ' whilst with Dorsey
      occasionally doubled trombone while Dorsey played trumpet.'

      ( John Chilton 'Who's Who of Jazz')

      Does anybody know any Dorsey trumpet work from this later period ?

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 21 4:38 PM
        I may have found the relationship between King Oliver and Dave Nelson.

        Oliver married Estelle "Stella" Dominick in 1911.

        Dave Nelson was born Davidson C. Nelson in Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish, in about 1902, a son of Daniel C. Nelson and his (second) wife, Ella E. Nelson, both school teachers. Ella was born May 1873, according to the 1900 census.

        The 1920 census shows Dave's parents in New Orleans, with Daniel's father-in-law, Jacob Davison (sic: aged 74) living with them. It seems that Davidson was Ella's maiden name and that the family name inspired Dave's given name.

        However in the 1880 census, Ella Davidson (aged 7) was living with the family of John Dominic (50), his wife Francis (sic: 23) and their son Andrew (3). Her relationship to the family is not stated but she was possibly a relative of Frances.

        So, the relationship between Joe Oliver and Dave Nelson seems to be through the Dominic(k) family connection. Precisely what the relationship is, is still unknown.

        Bob

        Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au