Re: [RedHotJazz] Trumpet /Trombone Doubles was Blind Willie's Gin

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 69 , May 6, 2007
      Other remarkable doublers were:

      Maynard Ferguson - trumpet, trombone, French horn

      Bill Prince - trumpet, trombone, tenor sax, clarinet, flute
      http://www.brevard.cc.fl.us/~cbob/bill-prince-bio.html

      John Dengler - cornet, tuba, bass sax - notably with Billy Maxted

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy, Montréal

      On 6-May-07, at 3:57 AM, David Brown wrote:

      > The quality of Dorsey's tpt is remarkable. I know of no other trb.
      > doubling
      > tpt. -- or not seriously. Can anybody find one ? There are several
      > reed
      > players who doubled but I think the problem of switching embouchure
      > and/or
      > mouthpiece, tpt to trb, must be considerable. Maybe there is a
      > brass player
      > who can comment ?
      >
      > Brad Gowans earlier played cornet, and clarinet, but did not I
      > think play
      > cornet and trombone at the same period of his career. Jabbo Smith
      > also at
      > one time played valve trombone but I think this was due to technical
      > problems. I think he finally reverted exclusively to tpt.
      >
      > I have also, in younger, more innocent days, seen Chris Barber play
      > trumpet
      > but, as I remember, he used his trombone mouthpiece. Is this
      > possible ?
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > PS Just remembered Ziggy Elman :- ' Throughout his career Ziggy
      > occasionally did section work on instruments other than trumpet i.e.
      > clarinet, baritone sax and trombone' also ' whilst with Dorsey
      > occasionally doubled trombone while Dorsey played trumpet.'
      >
      > ( John Chilton 'Who's Who of Jazz')
      >
      > Does anybody know any Dorsey trumpet work from this later period ?

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 21, 2008
        I may have found the relationship between King Oliver and Dave Nelson.

        Oliver married Estelle "Stella" Dominick in 1911.

        Dave Nelson was born Davidson C. Nelson in Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish, in about 1902, a son of Daniel C. Nelson and his (second) wife, Ella E. Nelson, both school teachers. Ella was born May 1873, according to the 1900 census.

        The 1920 census shows Dave's parents in New Orleans, with Daniel's father-in-law, Jacob Davison (sic: aged 74) living with them. It seems that Davidson was Ella's maiden name and that the family name inspired Dave's given name.

        However in the 1880 census, Ella Davidson (aged 7) was living with the family of John Dominic (50), his wife Francis (sic: 23) and their son Andrew (3). Her relationship to the family is not stated but she was possibly a relative of Frances.

        So, the relationship between Joe Oliver and Dave Nelson seems to be through the Dominic(k) family connection. Precisely what the relationship is, is still unknown.

        Bob

        Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au