Edison Hot Dance Obscurities, vol. 2

  • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19, 2005
      Being new to the group, I don't know if anyone has mentioned that Jazz
      Oracle is about to release volume 2 of "Edison Hot Dance Obscurities."
      While JO's website makes no mention of it, a picture of the disk appears on
      the cover of the latest catalog from Worldsrecords & their website has the
      track list <www.worldsrecords.com>.

      Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2005
        Jazz Oracle is often behind with its web site and Worlds Records tends to be extremely quick - note, however, that the CD is still listed under "coming soon". The latest *available* JO is the double Wilbur Sweatman. The Frog Perry Bradford also listed under "coming soon" by Worlds has been available from source for some time already, and the two new Timeless - the second Perry Bradford to complement the Frog and a "young Benny Goodman" - are also available from Timeless.

        Is anyone familiar with the Oreste sides on the Edison CD? Some indication of what they are like would be very useful.

        Michael Rader

        > Being new to the group, I don't know if anyone has mentioned that Jazz
        > Oracle is about to release volume 2 of "Edison Hot Dance Obscurities."
        > While JO's website makes no mention of it, a picture of the disk appears on
        > the cover of the latest catalog from Worldsrecords & their website has the
        > track list <www.worldsrecords.com>.
        >
        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      • aclassicjazzfan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
          I'm passing on information I received from John Wilby of Jazz Oracle
          concerning their new release.

          Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

          Hi Gerard:

          The Edison CD is now available ... we're a little behind in getting
          the
          website updated. It features a selection of the hotter sides by
          Oreste and
          His Queensland Orchestra. You'll find the details below.

          Regards,
          John

          Oreste and His Queensland Orchestra

          Oreste Migliaccio (p) directing a group probably drawn from: Frank
          McNellis-Tom Kells (t), Jack King (tb), Lou Savarese and another
          (reeds),
          Hal Stumkoff (ts), Ralph Esposito (bjo), Joe Tarto (bb), Joe Curran
          (d). It
          is possible that Red Nichols (t), Miff Mole (tb) and Jimmy Dorsey
          (cl,as),
          either individually or together, augmented the band on this date.
          New York, October 13, 1926
          1. 11214-F Ev'rything's Peaches (For Peaches And Me)
          (Harry D. Squires) Edison 51857

          Oreste Migliaccio (p) directing probably: Frank McNellis-Tom Kells
          (t), Jack
          King (tb), Lou Savarese-?Jimmy Dorsey or Don Murray (reeds), Hal
          Stumkoff
          (ts), Ralph Esposito (bjo), Joe Tarto (bb), Joe Curran (d), Arthur
          Fields
          (v). Jimmy Dorsey and/or Don Murray are included as possible
          participants
          based on the report by Lou Savarese that they were used on some
          sessions;
          there is nothing audible on these sides to suggest their presence.
          New York, November 19, 1926
          2. 11322-B Thinking Of You (I've Grown So Lonesome)
          (Walter Donaldson-Paul Ash)-vAF Edison 51885
          3. 11323-A Hello! Swanee-Hello! (Sam Coslow and
          Addy Britt) -vAF Edison 51886

          Jack Davis (t,v) replaces McNellis.
          New York, March 24, 1927
          4. 11603-A I'm Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover (Mort Dixon
          and Harry Woods) -vJD Edison 51983

          Jack Kaufman-J. Donald Parker (v).
          New York, May 4, 1927
          5. 11684-C High Hat Harry (Jack Lesoir, Ray Doll &
          Kenneth Casey) -vJK Edison 52017
          6. 11685-A Rosy Cheeks (Seymour Simons &
          Richard A. Whiting) -vJDP Edison 52017

          New York, June 24, 1927
          7. 11763-A She's Got "It!" (Benny Davis-Harry Akst-L. Wolfe
          Gilbert) -vAF Edison 52058

          Unknown (Jew's harp) added.
          New York, July 29, 1927
          8. 11823-A Eyeful Of You (Al Dubin & J. Fred Coots) -vAF Edison
          52087

          Unknown (bar) added.
          New York, November 25, 1927
          9. 18059-C I'm Walkin' On Air (---) -vJK Test
          10. 18060-B When The Morning Glories Wake Up In The Morning (Then
          I'll Kiss Your Two Lips Good-Night) (---) -vJK Test

          New York, December 9, 1927
          11. 18095-A I'm Walkin' On Air (Wm. Tracey and Dan
          Dougherty) -vJDP Edison 52167
          12. 18096-A When The Morning Glories Wake Up In The Morning
          (Then I'll Kiss Your Two Lips Good-Night)
          (Billy Rose and Fred Fisher) -vJDP Edison 52169
          Note: The vocalist is credited to "Happy Jack" on Edison 52167 and
          52169.

          As above, but Lou Auglieri (reeds) replaces Savarese. Jimmy Dorsey
          may be
          the second reedman on this side. The Songsters (Vic Hall & Ken
          Christie)
          (v).
          New York, February 1, 1928
          13. 18159-H Danger! (Look Out For That Gal) (Chas. O'Flynn &
          Eddie Kilfeather) -vS Edison 52214

          Dorsey and Murray, if present before, are now omitted; Bert Dixon
          (v).
          New York, March 26,1928
          14. 18336-C Lila (Archie Gottler-Charles Tobias-Maceo
          Pinkard) -vBD Edison 52273
          15. 18337-C Borneo (Walter Donaldson) -vBD Edison 52272

          Unknown (ocarina) added.
          New York, August 23, 1928
          16. 18675-A Anything You Say! (Walter Donaldson) -vJDP Edison 52383
          Note: The vocalist is credited to "Happy Jack" on Edison 52383.

          Theo. Alban (v).
          New York, December 5, 1928
          17. 18920-B Where The Shy Little Violets Grow (Gus Kahn-
          Harry Warren)-vTA Edison 52560
          18. 18921-B Cross Roads (Klages-Axt-Mendoza) -vTA Edison 52466

          The Rollickers (usually Arthur Hall, John Ryan, Ed Smalle)(v).
          New York, May 17, 1929
          19. 19199-A Me And The Clock (Tick-i-ty Tock And You)
          (Meskill-Mann-Wendling) -vR Edison 52592

          John Wilby
          1 Reid Manor
          Toronto, ON
          Canada M8Y 2H8