Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Dave Nelson

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 69 , May 1, 2007
      When I was in college in Coos Bay,Oregon(this was from 1970 thru '72;I was a music major).I came across an old Columbia boxed set called "Stringin' the Blues" which featured Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang(I had an original OKeh 80 rpm recording of "The Wild Dog" and
      "Dinah" which was featured in the boxed set)had two tracks of "Blind Willie Dunn and his Gin Bottle Four".The personnel listed gave credit to King Oliver as being on "trumpet";cornet would be more accurate,and the only other person I remember from that session was one Justin Ring who was credited as being a percussionist.The cornet solo was muted and if it was Oliver,his sound was unique in that it had a delicate quality.I had a Brunswick four record set of Oliver which dated from 1926(the set itself was from the mid forties)but that set is long gone and I have no other recording of Oliver.The trumpet or cornet sound on "New Orleans Shout" that John Enders ran off for me back around 1976 or '77,was atrocious.I had read via Lester Young(of Count Basie fame)that Oliver still had a full sound which contradicts info I was given via numerous articles on Oliver's life in the '30s.He had no teeth by then and was sick with high blood pressure and heart trouble.Armstrong saw him
      on an Atlanta street in 1937 and gave him a few bucks.He was pushing a cart selling fruit and vegetables.He died at the age of 53 circa April of 1938.His body was sent to his sister in New York City was said to have been buried there.Discographies,I found out years ago,aren't always accurate and musicians are listed but,in reality,were never there.Case in point was the session Adrian Rollini did for Decca in 1934.Bunny Berigan was listed along with Manny Klein but according to Klein,Bunny was never there.So there you go.

      Robert Greenwood <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
      <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

      > Please tell me more about Dave Nelson.

      The best source of information concerning Dave Nelson is almost
      certainly:
      Dave Nelson And Others: Essays in Historical and Discographical Jazz
      Research by Christopher Hillman and Roy Middleton with Richard Rains,
      published by Cygnet Productions (P.O. Box 4, Tavistock, England, PL19
      9YP).
      v + 77 pages. Price: 10 pounds including post & packing to UK & EU,
      11 pounds
      to elsewhere. Sterling cheques to Cygnet Productions, sterling or
      equivalent
      Euros cash acceptable.

      A search of the recent archive of this list will reveal a long-
      running debate concerning the identity of the trumpeters heard on the
      later King Oliver recordings, as well as a similar debate surrounding
      the mystery trumpeter heard on the Blind Willie Dunn session. This
      controversy predates this list, of course, and is set to run and run
      without it being possible to reach any any definitive conclusions.
      Robert Greenwood.

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 21, 2008
        I may have found the relationship between King Oliver and Dave Nelson.

        Oliver married Estelle "Stella" Dominick in 1911.

        Dave Nelson was born Davidson C. Nelson in Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish, in about 1902, a son of Daniel C. Nelson and his (second) wife, Ella E. Nelson, both school teachers. Ella was born May 1873, according to the 1900 census.

        The 1920 census shows Dave's parents in New Orleans, with Daniel's father-in-law, Jacob Davison (sic: aged 74) living with them. It seems that Davidson was Ella's maiden name and that the family name inspired Dave's given name.

        However in the 1880 census, Ella Davidson (aged 7) was living with the family of John Dominic (50), his wife Francis (sic: 23) and their son Andrew (3). Her relationship to the family is not stated but she was possibly a relative of Frances.

        So, the relationship between Joe Oliver and Dave Nelson seems to be through the Dominic(k) family connection. Precisely what the relationship is, is still unknown.

        Bob

        Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au