sound distortion on some Timeless & Retrieval CDs

  • Fitzpatrick, Gerard
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19 10:12 AM
      Could any group members explain the sound distortion on 3 CDs that I own?
      One is from Retrieval ("Hot Hylton") & 2 are from Timeless
      ("Brunswick/Vocalion Odds & Bits" & the second disk from the 2-CD set
      "Clarence Williams & His Orchestra, vol. 1, 1933-1934"). The distortion
      consists of brief "scratching" sounds, sometimes from the right channel and
      sometimes from the left, that occur throughout the CDs. The diostortion is
      audible on the several different stereo systems I own. I replaced two of
      the CDs but the distortion remains. I'm aware of the remastering expertise
      of the late John R.T. Davies & therefore assume that this distortion is
      normal (although, as I say, it occurs in stereo rather than in mono like the
      music itself - and no similar distortion occurs on the dozens of other CDs I
      have from Retrieval & Timeless). Any insights? Thanks.

      Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19 11:50 PM
        Gerard, all

        I know exactly what you mean and also have the three CDs you mention with the same effects, which I would describe as "ripping" sounds. Another CD which I think is similarly affected is "The Young Nat Gonella" on Retrieval. If I recall correctly, the distortion isn't on all tracks. In the case of the Jack Hylton, I even exchanged it at the manufacturer's (Challenge), but the same effects are on the replacement copy. My guess is that it's an imperfection introduced at the mastering stage, which wasn't necessarily the responsibility of John RT Davies. Davies probably provided the DAT Tapes used for mastering, meaning that he played the records (selecting proper styli) and reduced noise. Retrieval credits someone called Will Heesen for mastering.

        The distortion isn't anything to do with the records since the Charley Straight recordings on the "Odds and Bits" are also on Jazz Oracle which doesn't have the same effects.

        This is annoying, but I fear the producers are impervious to any criticism.

        Kind regards,

        Michael Rader

        > Could any group members explain the sound distortion on 3 CDs that I own?
        > One is from Retrieval ("Hot Hylton") & 2 are from Timeless
        > ("Brunswick/Vocalion Odds & Bits" & the second disk from the 2-CD set
        > "Clarence Williams & His Orchestra, vol. 1, 1933-1934"). The distortion
        > consists of brief "scratching" sounds, sometimes from the right channel and
        > sometimes from the left, that occur throughout the CDs. The diostortion is
        > audible on the several different stereo systems I own. I replaced two of
        > the CDs but the distortion remains. I'm aware of the remastering expertise
        > of the late John R.T. Davies & therefore assume that this distortion is
        > normal (although, as I say, it occurs in stereo rather than in mono like the
        > music itself - and no similar distortion occurs on the dozens of other CDs I
        > have from Retrieval & Timeless). Any insights? Thanks.
        >
        > Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      • aclassicjazzfan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 20 7:46 AM
          My thanks to Michael, Bob, & Patrice for their quick responses to my
          inquiry. I had a hunch that the sound distortion had something to do
          with the manufacturing process AFTER John RT worked his usual magic.
          I forgot to point out, as Michael did, that several songs that sound
          distorted on "Odds & Bits" sound fine on Jazz Oracle. Like Michael,
          I too returned what I thought were defective CDs to the manufacturer
          (Timeless), which kindly sent me replacement copies but they had the
          same problem. This sound problem is unfortunate because many of
          these tracks are so good. Still, these CDs are certainly listenable,
          and in light of all the wonderful music that Timeless, Retrieval,&
          other such producers have given to people like us, I feel somewhat
          ashamed even to have raised this issue.

          Gerard

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Rader"

          Message 4 of 5 , May 20 12:53 PM
            Gerard,

            There's no need to feel guilty for raising this question. I know for a fact that some CDs have been delayed due to last-minute quality problems, for instance on Jazz Oracle. Timeless and Retrieval are part of larger organisations which should have professional quality control.

            I've now copied one of the CDs to hard drive and made a CD copy but can't yet say if the fault disappears. More tomorrow, after I've had the opportunity to listen to the tracks on loudspeakers.

            Cheers

            Michael

            Message 5 of 5 , May 22 1:40 PM
              on 19/5/05 18:12, Fitzpatrick, Gerard at gfitzpatrick@... wrote:

              > Could any group members explain the sound distortion on 3 CDs that I own?
              > One is from Retrieval ("Hot Hylton") & 2 are from Timeless
              > ("Brunswick/Vocalion Odds & Bits" & the second disk from the 2-CD set
              > "Clarence Williams & His Orchestra, vol. 1, 1933-1934").

              My copy of the latter is certainly also afflicted. It's obvious why I had
              never noticed. I play mono records in true mono and in mono it is hardly
              noticeable, which may also explain why the producers didn't spot it.

              I probably never would have noticed it as anything other than a surprisingly
              high surface noise level in places if I hadn't been prompted. Playing in
              stereo does of course make it obvious that the noises are extraneous and
              makes them very irritating.

              Now I have noticed I think I'll be hanging on to those Swaggie LPs!