Re: [RedHotJazz] jazz fiddle vs. jazz violin?

    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2005
      I presume you've considered the Louisville tradition.

      If not, the complete Dixieland Jug Blowers can be had in superior sound
      dubbed by John R.T. Davies on Frog DGF6 Louisville Stomp and the complete
      Clifford Hayes Louisville Stompers on Frog DFG10 Frog Hop.

      Those Memphis Jug band tracks whoch feature Milton Robie on fiddle are also
      relevant here (also available from Frog).

      Less obvious perhaps is the Booker Orchestra's Gennett 6375, which is in at
      least some editions of Rust though badly misinterpreted (the fiddler is Jim
      Booker and they are nothing to do with alto player Charles Booker). This
      disc raises a lot of unresolved issues about cultural interactions! Salty
      Dog is on Document DOCD5216 Too Late, Too Late, Vol.2, Camp Nelson Blues on
      DOCD5167 String Bands, which has a lot of other material seemingly relevant
      to your inquiry including the Kansas City Blues Strummers Vocalion.

      Anthony Barnett's web site will put you on to the amazing Angelina Rivera,
      who can be heard on four of Josephine Baker's French Odeons (also somewhere
      in the Document catalogue thanks to our decision to include them in Blues &
      Gospel Records). These are not in Rust because he believes them to be of no
      jazz interest. One hopes this means he hasn't heard them. Rivera was
      actually from the Dominican Republic according to what she told U.K.
      immigration in 1919, but this is all on Anthony's web-site somewhere.