Re: [RedHotJazz] Blind Willie's Gin was Armstrong/Oliver (was Re: No Olga)

    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 17, 2007

      > George Avakian is reported as having access to OKEH
      >files and reporting no details which is, I think, unusual for OKEH at that
      >time.

      I also have had access to the OKeh files and can confirm that there is no
      personnel (which is not in the least unusual for band sides by the way,
      except where Avakian himself wrote them on in the 40s from collector
      sources). The band credit was originally "Novelty Four".

      I am deeply puzzled by "if this was masquerading as a black date". It was
      issued in the Race series under a name clearly designed to obscure its
      origins. How masquerading do you want?

      Both tunes are J.C. Johnson compositions. Many record dates at this time
      were music-publisher initiated. I repeat that other J.C. Johnson dates of
      the era - Wabash Trio, Moonlight Revelers, Five Hot Sparks, Bennett's
      Swamplanders - are the things that need to be compared to form a balanced
      judgement. Bennett's Swamplanders even recorded Jet Black Blues.

      As you have said, it does not sound like Dorsey and the campaign to credit
      it to him (they would be by far his best trumpet solos on record if it is
      him) is just that, a campaign. Why, I wonder, did he not play this well on
      his other trumpet records? (This is not conclusive of course and I wouldn't
      like to be thought to be pretending it is.)

      Full marks to the man who said Lang and Johnson are the only certainties.
      Personally I think J.C. Johnson is tolerably certain but his presence is not
      convenient to the Dorsey lobby!

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 21, 2008
        I may have found the relationship between King Oliver and Dave Nelson.

        Oliver married Estelle "Stella" Dominick in 1911.

        Dave Nelson was born Davidson C. Nelson in Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish, in about 1902, a son of Daniel C. Nelson and his (second) wife, Ella E. Nelson, both school teachers. Ella was born May 1873, according to the 1900 census.

        The 1920 census shows Dave's parents in New Orleans, with Daniel's father-in-law, Jacob Davison (sic: aged 74) living with them. It seems that Davidson was Ella's maiden name and that the family name inspired Dave's given name.

        However in the 1880 census, Ella Davidson (aged 7) was living with the family of John Dominic (50), his wife Francis (sic: 23) and their son Andrew (3). Her relationship to the family is not stated but she was possibly a relative of Frances.

        So, the relationship between Joe Oliver and Dave Nelson seems to be through the Dominic(k) family connection. Precisely what the relationship is, is still unknown.

        Bob

        Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au