Blind Willie's Gin was Armstrong/Oliver (was Re: No Olga)

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 16, 2007

      > I suggest that if it is T.D. then he was deliberately trying to
      > produce an Oliverlike, black sound.

      I agree (this seems likely)... The Blind Willie Dunn's Gin Bottle
      Four session sounds purposely modeled after Clarence Williams and His
      Novelty Four with Oliver six months earlier. Originally, the Blind
      Willie session had been entered on the file card as "NOVELTY FOUR org"
      and the even the chosen name seems an in-joke reference to the "pass
      that gin" vocal aside on the Williams date.

      Stylistically, the two dates are so similar that I wouldn't be
      surprised if the Williams record was actually played at the Blind
      Willie session (this might also account for Dorsey's recollection of
      it as one of his "strangest dates"). According to 'King Oliver':
      Williams (though not present at the session) strongly doubted J.C.
      Johnson on piano ("definitely not, he couldn't play that good!") and
      suggested Red McKenzie as the vocalist. Also (intriguingly but not
      helpfully) Lonnie Johnson reportedly claimed he'd been sworn to
      secrecy regarding the personnel.

      Perhaps I should add that I have no strong opinions about the Gin
      Bottle Four mystery performers (the only "certainties" being Lang and
      Johnson).

      John
    • Bob Eagle
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 21, 2008
        I may have found the relationship between King Oliver and Dave Nelson.

        Oliver married Estelle "Stella" Dominick in 1911.

        Dave Nelson was born Davidson C. Nelson in Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish, in about 1902, a son of Daniel C. Nelson and his (second) wife, Ella E. Nelson, both school teachers. Ella was born May 1873, according to the 1900 census.

        The 1920 census shows Dave's parents in New Orleans, with Daniel's father-in-law, Jacob Davison (sic: aged 74) living with them. It seems that Davidson was Ella's maiden name and that the family name inspired Dave's given name.

        However in the 1880 census, Ella Davidson (aged 7) was living with the family of John Dominic (50), his wife Francis (sic: 23) and their son Andrew (3). Her relationship to the family is not stated but she was possibly a relative of Frances.

        So, the relationship between Joe Oliver and Dave Nelson seems to be through the Dominic(k) family connection. Precisely what the relationship is, is still unknown.

        Bob

        Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au