No Olga

    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 10, 2007
      I have to slightly correct my own posting: there is no alternate take of the King Oliver Victor "Olga". Paul Swinton has since told me that "Stealing Love" is also controversial - there are thought to be two takes, but there is doubt that they truly differ. He says that the transfers are the best ever for this material.

      Paul also tells me that the JSP Bessie Smith was indeed ripped off Frog - this can be proved forensically, but since JSP applied a cheap denoising programme the sound is inferior to the Frogs.

    • Bob Eagle
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 21, 2008
        I may have found the relationship between King Oliver and Dave Nelson.

        Oliver married Estelle "Stella" Dominick in 1911.

        Dave Nelson was born Davidson C. Nelson in Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish, in about 1902, a son of Daniel C. Nelson and his (second) wife, Ella E. Nelson, both school teachers. Ella was born May 1873, according to the 1900 census.

        The 1920 census shows Dave's parents in New Orleans, with Daniel's father-in-law, Jacob Davison (sic: aged 74) living with them. It seems that Davidson was Ella's maiden name and that the family name inspired Dave's given name.

        However in the 1880 census, Ella Davidson (aged 7) was living with the family of John Dominic (50), his wife Francis (sic: 23) and their son Andrew (3). Her relationship to the family is not stated but she was possibly a relative of Frances.

        So, the relationship between Joe Oliver and Dave Nelson seems to be through the Dominic(k) family connection. Precisely what the relationship is, is still unknown.

        Bob

        Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au