King Oliver Victors on Frog

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2007
      While I was expecting Frog to release a Richard M. Jones CD - very welcome - I was rather surprised to see that they (Paul Swinton) have also released two new CDs of the Kig Oliver Victors. Paul tells me that these have restoration work by Ted Kendall, but apart from a new alternate of "Stealing Love", they duplicate the contents of the old JSP CDs restored by John RT Davies and repacked as a double a couple of years back. The "Gift from the President" CD from Jazz Oracle has an alternate take of "Edna" and there also seems to be one of "Olga" (on an old King Jazz CD).

      Does anyone know any more about the Frog, even better heard them?

      A quick check on Amazon shows that the JSP King Oliver is in limited supply, so the Frogs might not have the stiff competition I thought it had.

      I strongly suspect that JSP has ripped off the Frog Bessie Smith set. Can anyone confirm? Strong evidence is the inclusion of the trumpet-accompanied "Squeeze Me", which was first released by Frog.

      Michael Rader, Karlsruhe, Germany