First post, and Kansas City Stomp

  • Max Keenlyside
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5 5:22 PM
      Hi all.
      I'm a ragtime pianist from PEI, Canada, and I just recently joined this
      group so this is my first post.
      I thought that as an icebreaker on my part I'd post an arrangement of a
      stomp by Jelly Roll Morton I just finished arranging in the files
      section. As I say in the file description, all comments, criticisms
      and "get that file off the Files section!" are welcomed. I'm going to
      form a band at my high school to play this, and I'm wondering if anyone
      has any suggestions or comments on my arrangement that might improve it.
      Best regards,
      Max Keenlyside
    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6 5:50 AM
        Dear Max

        Welcome to the group.

        What a coincidence! Next week, Friday April 13 I'm playing a solo piano arrangement of "Kansas City Stomp" by the Norwegian pianist Morten Gunnar Larsen on my weekly jazz programme on the local FM radio, and also on the Internet. It can be heard at about 18:30 GMT (the programme starts 18:00 GMT) at:
        http://www.radio3rana.no/lytt_live.html

        I've listened to your mp3, and I'm impressed. I'd like to play it on the above mentioned radio programme if you will permit this. If so, could you please let me know:
        the name of the band
        the personnel by name and instrument
        when and where recorded.

        Kind Regards

        Bob Smith

      • Max Keenlyside
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6 6:19 AM
          Hi Robert!
          Thanks for the welcome.
          Feel free to play my MP3 on the radio programme, but know that it is not actually a real band. As I said, I have not yet formed the band to play that score (hopefully, I'll have a band assembled by the end of the month). I simply scored a MIDI file from my sheet music arrangement, and then made it a bit more realistic by using special sounfonts (MIDI samples taken from actual instruments). Raw MIDI files sound quite crude, so I chose to use soundfonts to give the group a better idea of what the arrangement might sound like.
          I should also add that the piano part is firmly based in Jelly's LOC recording of the piece.
          Best Regards,
          Max Keenlyside