Booker T Wingfield - WAS Guy Kelly

  • Prof_Hi_Jinx
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
      Booker T. Wingfield (cornet) was born at Demopolis, AL on 20 May 1903 (according to shipping records when he returned to the USA from Europe with his father in 1933).

      However he was shown as aged 18 when he was enumerated at Montgomery, Alabama in 1920, suggesting a birth year of 1901.

      He is primarily known for his work in Chicago as an associate of Cow Cow Davenport.

      His address in 1933 was 416 South Micon, Greemsboro, NC, and he was still residing in Greensboro when he died on 18 December 1979. He never married.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
        on 5/4/07 6:51, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        >Booker T. Wingfield (cornet) was born at Demopolis, AL on 20 May 1903
        >(according to shipping records when he returned to the USA from Europe with his
        >father in 1933).

        >However he was shown as aged 18 when he was enumerated at Montgomery, Alabama
        >in 1920, suggesting a birth year of 1901.

        >He is primarily known for his work in Chicago as an associate of Cow Cow
        >Davenport.

        For anyone interested there is a detailed chronology of Wingfield's career
        by Chris Smith in Names & Numbers 38 (July 2006), 19-22.

        The Demopolis birthplace is also confirmed by Swedish records, but North
        Carolina records show his birthplace as Jefferson, AL, which is about 10
        miles from Demopolis. This is probably just a "where the hell is that?", oh,
        it's near Jefferson.