Re: [RedHotJazz] Daisy Miller, the "Dixie Queen"

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
      on 3/4/07 12:58, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

      >Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that they were
      >born in New Orleans

      Not any more, Bob. Grove for one gives Connie's birthplace as Kansas City,
      MO. Curiously there is no entry on the Sisters as such so no opportunity to
      give the others.

    • jaykay_4444
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
        This is from Wikipedia - not always known for indisputable accuracy,
        but it sounds reasonable. The plot thickens.....

        Sisters Martha Boswell (1905-1958), Connee Boswell (December 3, 1907-
        October 11, 1976), and Helvetia "Vet" Boswell (May 20, 1911 - 1988)
        were raised by a middle-class family on Camp Street in uptown New
        Orleans, Louisiana. Martha and Connee were born in Kansas City,
        Missouri. Helvetia was born in Birmingham, Alabama.

        > on 3/4/07 12:58, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:
        >
        > >Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that
        they were
        > >born in New Orleans
        >
        > Not any more, Bob. Grove for one gives Connie's birthplace as
        Kansas City,
        > MO. Curiously there is no entry on the Sisters as such so no
        opportunity to
        > give the others.

        > howard@...
        > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      • Albert Haim
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
          From the Encyclopedia Britannica

          The three sisters were Martha (b. June 9, 1905, Kansas City, Missouri,
          U.S.—d. July 2, 1958, Peekskill, New York), Connee (original name
          Connie; b. December 3, 1907, New Orleans, Louisiana—d. October 11,
          1976, New York, New York), and Helvetia (also called Vet; b. May 20,
          1909, Birmingham, Alabama—d. November 12, 1988, Peekskill, New York).

          The Encyclopedia gives (incorrectly) New Orleans as the birth place of
          Connee. So does the Biographical Dictionary of ASCAP. (Supposedly, the
          information therein is accurate because primary sources are, in part,
          questionnaires filled out by ASCAP members.)

          What I think are reliable data can be found in the US Census
          enumerated on Jan 15, 1920.

          A. G. Boswell, age 40, living at 3937 Camp, City of New Orleans,
          Parish of Orleans, Louisiana, born in Indiana. He is the head of
          household. The other members of are:
          Wife M.G. age 48, born in Missouri
          Daughter M. M. age 14, born in Missouri
          Daughter C. F. age 12, born in Missouri
          Daughter H. G. age 8, born in Alabama.

          There is a bit of a problem with Vet. If she was born on May 20, 1909,
          (as the Encyclopedia tells us) she would have been 10 on Jan 15, 1920.
          However, I note thatRichard Sudhalter (in "Lost Chords") reports that
          Vet was born in 1911. If she was born after Jan 15, she would have
          been 8 when the 1920 US Census was taken. Incidentally, the section on
          the Boswell Sisters in Sudhalter's book is superb, just like the rest
          of his massive opus.

          Albert

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jaykay_4444" <jaykay_4444@...> wrote:

          > This is from Wikipedia - not always known for indisputable accuracy,
          > but it sounds reasonable. The plot thickens.....
          >
          > Sisters Martha Boswell (1905-1958), Connee Boswell (December 3, 1907-
          > October 11, 1976), and Helvetia "Vet" Boswell (May 20, 1911 - 1988)
          > were raised by a middle-class family on Camp Street in uptown New
          > Orleans, Louisiana. Martha and Connee were born in Kansas City,
          > Missouri. Helvetia was born in Birmingham, Alabama.
          >

          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@> wrote:
          > >
          > > on 3/4/07 12:58, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@ wrote:
          > >
          > > >Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that
          > they were
          > > >born in New Orleans
          > >
          > > Not any more, Bob. Grove for one gives Connie's birthplace as
          > Kansas City,
          > > MO. Curiously there is no entry on the Sisters as such so no
          > opportunity to
          > > give the others.
          > >

          > > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
          > > howard@
          > > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

        • AJ Azure
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
            This is the most reliable source for anything Boswell

            http://www.boswellmuseum.org/