Re: [RedHotJazz] Daisy Miller, the "Dixie Queen"

  • Bob Eagle
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3 4:58 AM
      Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that they were born in New Orleans - there's precious little in the way of Census records, but the 1930 Census (when they were in L.A.) says they were born in the midwest - MO, from memory, but maybe KS).

      Bob

      Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
      on 3/4/07 0:18, vintagetenor at vintagetenor@... wrote:

      >Thanks. Is Catherine - excuse my ignorance - one of the Boswell Sisters? I
      >just know Connie because of her numerous solo recordings.

      The Boswell Sisters were Connie, Vet (Helvetia), and Martha, so no she
      wasn't.

      Catherine Boswell has no reference in any of the obvious sources on 20s pop
      music so I assume she was a not very well known vaudeville or cabaret
      artiste. Anyone out there know better?

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3 6:24 AM
        on 3/4/07 12:58, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        >Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that they were
        >born in New Orleans

        Not any more, Bob. Grove for one gives Connie's birthplace as Kansas City,
        MO. Curiously there is no entry on the Sisters as such so no opportunity to
        give the others.

      • jaykay_4444
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3 1:08 PM
          This is from Wikipedia - not always known for indisputable accuracy,
          but it sounds reasonable. The plot thickens.....

          Sisters Martha Boswell (1905-1958), Connee Boswell (December 3, 1907-
          October 11, 1976), and Helvetia "Vet" Boswell (May 20, 1911 - 1988)
          were raised by a middle-class family on Camp Street in uptown New
          Orleans, Louisiana. Martha and Connee were born in Kansas City,
          Missouri. Helvetia was born in Birmingham, Alabama.

          > on 3/4/07 12:58, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:
          >
          > >Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that
          they were
          > >born in New Orleans
          >
          > Not any more, Bob. Grove for one gives Connie's birthplace as
          Kansas City,
          > MO. Curiously there is no entry on the Sisters as such so no
          opportunity to
          > give the others.

          > howard@...
          > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

        • Albert Haim
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3 5:38 PM
            From the Encyclopedia Britannica

            The three sisters were Martha (b. June 9, 1905, Kansas City, Missouri,
            U.S.—d. July 2, 1958, Peekskill, New York), Connee (original name
            Connie; b. December 3, 1907, New Orleans, Louisiana—d. October 11,
            1976, New York, New York), and Helvetia (also called Vet; b. May 20,
            1909, Birmingham, Alabama—d. November 12, 1988, Peekskill, New York).

            The Encyclopedia gives (incorrectly) New Orleans as the birth place of
            Connee. So does the Biographical Dictionary of ASCAP. (Supposedly, the
            information therein is accurate because primary sources are, in part,
            questionnaires filled out by ASCAP members.)

            What I think are reliable data can be found in the US Census
            enumerated on Jan 15, 1920.

            A. G. Boswell, age 40, living at 3937 Camp, City of New Orleans,
            Parish of Orleans, Louisiana, born in Indiana. He is the head of
            household. The other members of are:
            Wife M.G. age 48, born in Missouri
            Daughter M. M. age 14, born in Missouri
            Daughter C. F. age 12, born in Missouri
            Daughter H. G. age 8, born in Alabama.

            There is a bit of a problem with Vet. If she was born on May 20, 1909,
            (as the Encyclopedia tells us) she would have been 10 on Jan 15, 1920.
            However, I note thatRichard Sudhalter (in "Lost Chords") reports that
            Vet was born in 1911. If she was born after Jan 15, she would have
            been 8 when the 1920 US Census was taken. Incidentally, the section on
            the Boswell Sisters in Sudhalter's book is superb, just like the rest
            of his massive opus.

            Albert

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jaykay_4444" <jaykay_4444@...> wrote:

            > This is from Wikipedia - not always known for indisputable accuracy,
            > but it sounds reasonable. The plot thickens.....
            >
            > Sisters Martha Boswell (1905-1958), Connee Boswell (December 3, 1907-
            > October 11, 1976), and Helvetia "Vet" Boswell (May 20, 1911 - 1988)
            > were raised by a middle-class family on Camp Street in uptown New
            > Orleans, Louisiana. Martha and Connee were born in Kansas City,
            > Missouri. Helvetia was born in Birmingham, Alabama.
            >

            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@> wrote:
            > >
            > > on 3/4/07 12:58, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@ wrote:
            > >
            > > >Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that
            > they were
            > > >born in New Orleans
            > >
            > > Not any more, Bob. Grove for one gives Connie's birthplace as
            > Kansas City,
            > > MO. Curiously there is no entry on the Sisters as such so no
            > opportunity to
            > > give the others.
            > >

            > > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
            > > howard@
            > > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

          • AJ Azure
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3 8:52 PM
              This is the most reliable source for anything Boswell

              http://www.boswellmuseum.org/