Re: [RedHotJazz] Daisy Miller, the "Dixie Queen"

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
      on 2/4/07 21:49, Mike Amato at vintagetenor@... wrote:

      Hi All,

      >Does anyone out there have any info on the vocalist Daisy Miller? I
      >haven't found anything about her on the web.

      >I have a copy of her "I Just Can't Wait"/"I Only Hope That You Are Not
      >Fooling Me" on Champion 15703 (1929). Both sides are called "Vocal
      >Blues", although the "Only Hope" side is a pop tune. She's an Annette
      >Hanshaw-like singer that is referred to on the label as the "Dixie
      >Queen".

      >There's a piano accompaniment on both sides. Who is playing? Thanks!

      It's a pseudonym for Catherine Boswell "The Sunshine Girl" and presumably
      appears under that credit on some Gennett issue.

      But that's all I know!

    • vintagetenor
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
        Hi Howard,

        Thanks. Is Catherine - excuse my ignorance - one of the Boswell Sisters? I just know Connie because of her numerous solo recordings.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
          on 3/4/07 0:18, vintagetenor at vintagetenor@... wrote:

          >Thanks. Is Catherine - excuse my ignorance - one of the Boswell Sisters? I
          >just know Connie because of her numerous solo recordings.

          The Boswell Sisters were Connie, Vet (Helvetia), and Martha, so no she
          wasn't.

          Catherine Boswell has no reference in any of the obvious sources on 20s pop
          music so I assume she was a not very well known vaudeville or cabaret
          artiste. Anyone out there know better?

        • Bob Eagle
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
            Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that they were born in New Orleans - there's precious little in the way of Census records, but the 1930 Census (when they were in L.A.) says they were born in the midwest - MO, from memory, but maybe KS).

            Bob

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
              on 3/4/07 12:58, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

              >Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that they were
              >born in New Orleans

              Not any more, Bob. Grove for one gives Connie's birthplace as Kansas City,
              MO. Curiously there is no entry on the Sisters as such so no opportunity to
              give the others.

            • jaykay_4444
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
                This is from Wikipedia - not always known for indisputable accuracy,
                but it sounds reasonable. The plot thickens.....

                Sisters Martha Boswell (1905-1958), Connee Boswell (December 3, 1907-
                October 11, 1976), and Helvetia "Vet" Boswell (May 20, 1911 - 1988)
                were raised by a middle-class family on Camp Street in uptown New
                Orleans, Louisiana. Martha and Connee were born in Kansas City,
                Missouri. Helvetia was born in Birmingham, Alabama.

                > on 3/4/07 12:58, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:
                >
                > >Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that
                they were
                > >born in New Orleans
                >
                > Not any more, Bob. Grove for one gives Connie's birthplace as
                Kansas City,
                > MO. Curiously there is no entry on the Sisters as such so no
                opportunity to
                > give the others.

                > howard@...
                > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

              • Albert Haim
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
                  From the Encyclopedia Britannica

                  The three sisters were Martha (b. June 9, 1905, Kansas City, Missouri,
                  U.S.—d. July 2, 1958, Peekskill, New York), Connee (original name
                  Connie; b. December 3, 1907, New Orleans, Louisiana—d. October 11,
                  1976, New York, New York), and Helvetia (also called Vet; b. May 20,
                  1909, Birmingham, Alabama—d. November 12, 1988, Peekskill, New York).

                  The Encyclopedia gives (incorrectly) New Orleans as the birth place of
                  Connee. So does the Biographical Dictionary of ASCAP. (Supposedly, the
                  information therein is accurate because primary sources are, in part,
                  questionnaires filled out by ASCAP members.)

                  What I think are reliable data can be found in the US Census
                  enumerated on Jan 15, 1920.

                  A. G. Boswell, age 40, living at 3937 Camp, City of New Orleans,
                  Parish of Orleans, Louisiana, born in Indiana. He is the head of
                  household. The other members of are:
                  Wife M.G. age 48, born in Missouri
                  Daughter M. M. age 14, born in Missouri
                  Daughter C. F. age 12, born in Missouri
                  Daughter H. G. age 8, born in Alabama.

                  There is a bit of a problem with Vet. If she was born on May 20, 1909,
                  (as the Encyclopedia tells us) she would have been 10 on Jan 15, 1920.
                  However, I note thatRichard Sudhalter (in "Lost Chords") reports that
                  Vet was born in 1911. If she was born after Jan 15, she would have
                  been 8 when the 1920 US Census was taken. Incidentally, the section on
                  the Boswell Sisters in Sudhalter's book is superb, just like the rest
                  of his massive opus.

                  Albert

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jaykay_4444" <jaykay_4444@...> wrote:

                  > This is from Wikipedia - not always known for indisputable accuracy,
                  > but it sounds reasonable. The plot thickens.....
                  >
                  > Sisters Martha Boswell (1905-1958), Connee Boswell (December 3, 1907-
                  > October 11, 1976), and Helvetia "Vet" Boswell (May 20, 1911 - 1988)
                  > were raised by a middle-class family on Camp Street in uptown New
                  > Orleans, Louisiana. Martha and Connee were born in Kansas City,
                  > Missouri. Helvetia was born in Birmingham, Alabama.
                  >

                  > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > on 3/4/07 12:58, Bob Eagle at prof_hi_jinx@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > >Incidentally, any bio you read about the Boswell Singers says that
                  > they were
                  > > >born in New Orleans
                  > >
                  > > Not any more, Bob. Grove for one gives Connie's birthplace as
                  > Kansas City,
                  > > MO. Curiously there is no entry on the Sisters as such so no
                  > opportunity to
                  > > give the others.
                  > >

                  > > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
                  > > howard@
                  > > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

                • AJ Azure
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
                    This is the most reliable source for anything Boswell

                    http://www.boswellmuseum.org/