Re: Arnold Frank and his Roger's Cafe Orchestra

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
      Dan,

      Could the recording of "Freshman Hop" that you mention be OKeh 41411
      with Bill Moore (and Donald Bryan) on trumpet and Benny Goodman on
      clarinet? If so, then it was released as by Jack Pettis and His
      Orchestra on OKeh and as Jack Binney and His Orchestra on Parlophone
      PNY-3406.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
      <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

      > Again,thanks for the information.The one session I knew of from the
      late '20s was a session that Benny Goodman did under the name of
      "Goody and his Goodtimers".Bill "Jazz" Moore was the trumpeter on the
      date and his solo was a bloodless study.If I remember correctly,it
      > was on "Freshman Hop" and if I remember correctly,it was recorded
      on OKeh.As I stated
      > in my last blog,it was one of those vibrant sounding records which
      gave OKeh a sound of its
      > own.By the way,my friend Al Hendrickson,who was with Artie Shaw in
      1940-41,asked me if I
      > heard of someone finding the metal stampers of the old Paramount
      label dating from the '20s
      > in some river bed.I wonder if the master of "China Boy" by Charles
      Pierce was among them.
      > Tesch's clarinet solo was full of clinkers.Muggsy Spanier and
      someone names Dick Fiegie were the cornetists.

      > Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote:
      > Bob gave some information about Swenumsen in posting 3997.
      >
      > The only recording listed by Rust for Swenumsen is Black Maria/Rain.
      >
      > Following the Feb 4, 1927 Bix and Tram recording of "Singin' the
      > Blues," many trumpet/cornet players fell under the spell of Bix.
      > Chauncey Morehouse, the drummer in the 1927 Jean Goldkette Victor
      > Recording Orchestra stated, "You couldn't go anywhere in New York
      > without hearing some guy trying to play like Bix. They copied his
      > tone, his attack, his figures. Some guys tried to take his stuff right
      > off the records. Others just came and listened. It was amazing."
      >
      > From Swenumsen solo in "Black Maria" it is clear that, like so many
      > others, he was influenced by Bix. Some were able to capture a bit of
      > the essence of Bix -Jimmy McPartland, Andy Secrest, etc. Others came
      > up with just a superficial resemblance, Swenumsen among them.
      >
      > Albert
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
      > <danvanlandingham@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you for the info on that Bix like cornet solo.Who was Swanny
      > Swenumsem?
      > >
      > > Albert Haim <alberthaim@> wrote: "Black Maria" and its
      > reverse, the beautiful tune "Rain", are
      > > available right here, in the redhot jazz website.
      > > http://redhotjazz.com/frank.html
      > > Swanny Swenumsen bears only a superficial resemblance to Bix.
      > >
      > > Albert
      > >
      > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
      > > <patrice.champarou@> wrote:

      Arnold