Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Arnold Frank and his Roger's Cafe Orchestra

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2007
      Again,thanks for the information.The one session I knew of from the late '20s was a session that Benny Goodman did under the name of "Goody and his Goodtimers".Bill "Jazz" Moore was the trumpeter on the date and his solo was a bloodless study.If I remember correctly,it
      was on "Freshman Hop" and if I remember correctly,it was recorded on OKeh.As I stated
      in my last blog,it was one of those vibrant sounding records which gave OKeh a sound of its
      own.By the way,my friend Al Hendrickson,who was with Artie Shaw in 1940-41,asked me if I
      heard of someone finding the metal stampers of the old Paramount label dating from the '20s
      in some river bed.I wonder if the master of "China Boy" by Charles Pierce was among them.
      Tesch's clarinet solo was full of clinkers.Muggsy Spanier and someone names Dick Fiegie were the cornetists.

      Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote:
      Bob gave some information about Swenumsen in posting 3997.

      The only recording listed by Rust for Swenumsen is Black Maria/Rain.

      Following the Feb 4, 1927 Bix and Tram recording of "Singin' the
      Blues," many trumpet/cornet players fell under the spell of Bix.
      Chauncey Morehouse, the drummer in the 1927 Jean Goldkette Victor
      Recording Orchestra stated, "You couldn't go anywhere in New York
      without hearing some guy trying to play like Bix. They copied his
      tone, his attack, his figures. Some guys tried to take his stuff right
      off the records. Others just came and listened. It was amazing."

      From Swenumsen solo in "Black Maria" it is clear that, like so many
      others, he was influenced by Bix. Some were able to capture a bit of
      the essence of Bix -Jimmy McPartland, Andy Secrest, etc. Others came
      up with just a superficial resemblance, Swenumsen among them.

      Albert
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
      <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for the info on that Bix like cornet solo.Who was Swanny
      Swenumsem?

      > Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote: "Black Maria" and its
      reverse, the beautiful tune "Rain", are
      > available right here, in the redhot jazz website.
      > http://redhotjazz.com/frank.html
      > Swanny Swenumsen bears only a superficial resemblance to Bix.
      >
      > Albert
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
      > <patrice.champarou@> wrote:

      Maria" on
      > > > an OKeh 80 rpm record(black label in the 410,000 series)which
      > > > disappeared around 1968(it was given to me back in 1964 or 1965).I
      > > > found another copy about ten years ago,but it had a chunk out of it
      > > > and I couldn't get a decent dubbing from it.It had a Bix like
      cornet
      > > > or trumpet solo that impressed me at the time(I was 13 in
      1964)as did
      > > > the tuba solo.The whole arrangement was very much in the same
      vein as
      > > > the Frank Trumbauer-Bix records of the same period.
      > >
      > > From Jean-Pierre Lion :
      > >
      > > This "Black Maria" is on Timeless CD CBC 1084 "Jazz is where you
      > find it!"
      > > The cornet player is called Swanny Swenumsen (bless you!;-)
      > >
      > > P.

    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 8:22 AM
        Dan,

        Could the recording of "Freshman Hop" that you mention be OKeh 41411
        with Bill Moore (and Donald Bryan) on trumpet and Benny Goodman on
        clarinet? If so, then it was released as by Jack Pettis and His
        Orchestra on OKeh and as Jack Binney and His Orchestra on Parlophone
        PNY-3406.