Arnold Frank and his Roger's Cafe Orchestra

  • danvanlandingham
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23, 2007
      Can anyone out there shed some more light on bandleader Arnold Frank?
      Back around 1965 or '66 I had his OKeh recording of "Black Maria"
      which dated from around 1927 or '29.I was intrigued by the Bix like
      cornet or trumpet solo heard on that record.I had a copy of it but it
      disappeard sometime around 1968.I found another copy of it but it was
      not in very good shape:it had a small chunk of shellac taken out of it
      and I couldn't get a decent dubbing of it onto tape.I saw the record
      on your site and I wonder on what label it was on.It is still one of
      my favorite recordings.
    • danvanlandingham
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
        Can anyone out there give me some information on bandleader Arnold
        Frank who led his "Roger's Cafe Orchestra"?I had his "Black Maria" on
        an OKeh 80 rpm record(black label in the 410,000 series)which
        disappeared around 1968(it was given to me back in 1964 or 1965).I
        found another copy about ten years ago,but it had a chunk out of it
        and I couldn't get a decent dubbing from it.It had a Bix like cornet
        or trumpet solo that impressed me at the time(I was 13 in 1964)as did
        the tuba solo.The whole arrangement was very much in the same vein as
        the Frank Trumbauer-Bix records of the same period.
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007
          > Can anyone out there give me some information on bandleader Arnold
          > Frank who led his "Roger's Cafe Orchestra"?I had his "Black Maria" on
          > an OKeh 80 rpm record(black label in the 410,000 series)which
          > disappeared around 1968(it was given to me back in 1964 or 1965).I
          > found another copy about ten years ago,but it had a chunk out of it
          > and I couldn't get a decent dubbing from it.It had a Bix like cornet
          > or trumpet solo that impressed me at the time(I was 13 in 1964)as did
          > the tuba solo.The whole arrangement was very much in the same vein as
          > the Frank Trumbauer-Bix records of the same period.

          From Jean-Pierre Lion :

          This "Black Maria" is on Timeless CD CBC 1084 "Jazz is where you find it!"
          The cornet player is called Swanny Swenumsen (bless you!;-)

          P.
        • Albert Haim
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007
            "Black Maria" and its reverse, the beautiful tune "Rain", are
            available right here, in the redhot jazz website.
            http://redhotjazz.com/frank.html
            Swanny Swenumsen bears only a superficial resemblance to Bix.

            Albert

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
            <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

> [...]
          • Prof_Hi_Jinx
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007
              Most Swenumsen / Swenumson Census listings are in Iowa, and the music-oriented listings all have some connection with Iowa.

              Swanny Swenumsen sounds like a nickname and, sure enough, there is a listing in Philadelphia in 1930 for Nelson Swenumson (sic), "Musician, Orchestra" - he was born in about 1905 in Minnesota to a father from Iowa and mother from Illinois. He was sharing with Philip E. Fent (24, "Musician, Orchestra", born Iowa, as were his parents). Nearby lived Let Ring (sic: 20, "Musician, Orchestra", born Texas, as were his parents).

              Arnold Frank, however, was living at 6800 Sheridan, Chicago in 1930, "music, manager" (aged 33, born in Canada to parents born in New York state). The Iowa connection? His wife.

              As the Arnold Frank recordings were made in Minneapolis, presumably Roger's Cafe was situated there, and the band later dispersed.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007
                According to Dick Raichelson's liner notes to the Arcadia LP "Twin Cities Shuffle", Frank started playing at at the University of Minnesota and later joined Isham Jones (1929), managing Jones' orchestra from 1932-34. Swenumsen was from Baldwin, Wisconsin.

                Michael Rader

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007
                  According to Dick Raichelson's liner notes to the Arcadia LP "Twin Cities Shuffle", Frank started playing at at the University of Minnesota and later joined Isham Jones (1929), managing Jones' orchestra from 1932-34. Swenumsen was from Baldwin, Wisconsin.

                  Michael Rader

                • Dan Van Landingham
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
                    Thank you for the info on Arnold Frank.The recording I had came from an attic at a place my grandparents were living in at the time.There were several other records I was given as well.As I remember,I also found an original OKeh of "The Wild Dog" by Joe Venuti's Blue Four and one maroon label OKeh of a song called "Gorgeous" by the OKeh Melodians-a studio group.That record had a great sound which was something I had written about a few
                    years ago.Those OKeh recordings had an almost "echo chamber" quality to them.This came about even more so on the Bix recordings of "Three Blind Mice" and "Krazy Kat".The sound was a nice contrast to the Victor and Brunswick recordings which had a nice,warm sound to them.I would like to know just how the studios at OKeh were designed.The first recording studio with an echo chamber was Radio Recorders in Hollywood which opened sometime in the 1940s.I remember the late Skeets Herfurt was once telling me that he recorded there while playing alto sax in a studio band led by Artie Shaw in the summer of 1946.

                    wrote:

> [...]

                  • Dan Van Landingham
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
                      Thank you for the info on that Bix like cornet solo.Who was Swanny Swenumsem?

                      Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote: "Black Maria" and its reverse, the beautiful tune "Rain", are

                      <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

> [...]

                    • Albert Haim
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 30, 2007
                        Bob gave some information about Swenumsen in posting 3997.

                        The only recording listed by Rust for Swenumsen is Black Maria/Rain.

                        Following the Feb 4, 1927 Bix and Tram recording of "Singin' the
                        Blues," many trumpet/cornet players fell under the spell of Bix.
                        Chauncey Morehouse, the drummer in the 1927 Jean Goldkette Victor
                        Recording Orchestra stated, "You couldn't go anywhere in New York
                        without hearing some guy trying to play like Bix. They copied his
                        tone, his attack, his figures. Some guys tried to take his stuff right
                        off the records. Others just came and listened. It was amazing."

                        From Swenumsen solo in "Black Maria" it is clear that, like so many
                        others, he was influenced by Bix. Some were able to capture a bit of
                        the essence of Bix -Jimmy McPartland, Andy Secrest, etc. Others came
                        up with just a superficial resemblance, Swenumsen among them.

                        Albert
                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
                        <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

                        > Thank you for the info on that Bix like cornet solo.Who was Swanny
                        Swenumsem?

                        > Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote: "Black Maria" and its
                        reverse, the beautiful tune "Rain", are
                        > available right here, in the redhot jazz website.
                        > http://redhotjazz.com/frank.html
                        > Swanny Swenumsen bears only a superficial resemblance to Bix.
                        >
                        > Albert
                        >
                        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"

                      • Dan Van Landingham
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 30, 2007
                          Again,thanks for the information.The one session I knew of from the late '20s was a session that Benny Goodman did under the name of "Goody and his Goodtimers".Bill "Jazz" Moore was the trumpeter on the date and his solo was a bloodless study.If I remember correctly,it
                          was on "Freshman Hop" and if I remember correctly,it was recorded on OKeh.As I stated
                          in my last blog,it was one of those vibrant sounding records which gave OKeh a sound of its
                          own.By the way,my friend Al Hendrickson,who was with Artie Shaw in 1940-41,asked me if I
                          heard of someone finding the metal stampers of the old Paramount label dating from the '20s
                          in some river bed.I wonder if the master of "China Boy" by Charles Pierce was among them.
                          Tesch's clarinet solo was full of clinkers.

                          Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote:
                          Bob gave some information about Swenumsen in posting 3997.

                          The only recording listed by Rust for Swenumsen is Black Maria/Rain.

                          Following the Feb 4, 1927 Bix and Tram recording of "Singin' the
                          Blues," many trumpet/cornet players fell under the spell of Bix.
                          Chauncey Morehouse, the drummer in the 1927 Jean Goldkette Victor
                          Recording Orchestra stated, "You couldn't go anywhere in New York
                          without hearing some guy trying to play like Bix. They copied his
                          tone, his attack, his figures. Some guys tried to take his stuff right
                          off the records. Others just came and listened. It was amazing."

                          From Swenumsen solo in "Black Maria" it is clear that, like so many

                          <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

                          > Thank you for the info on that Bix like cornet solo.Who was Swanny
                          Swenumsem?

                          > Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote: "Black Maria" and its
                          reverse, the beautiful tune "Rain", are
                          > available right here, in the redhot jazz website.
                          > http://redhotjazz.com/frank.html
                          > Swanny Swenumsen bears only a superficial resemblance to Bix.
                          >
                          > Albert
                          >
                          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"

                        • Dan Van Landingham
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 30, 2007
                            Again,thanks for the information.The one session I knew of from the late '20s was a session that Benny Goodman did under the name of "Goody and his Goodtimers".Bill "Jazz" Moore was the trumpeter on the date and his solo was a bloodless study.If I remember correctly,it
                            was on "Freshman Hop" and if I remember correctly,it was recorded on OKeh.As I stated
                            in my last blog,it was one of those vibrant sounding records which gave OKeh a sound of its
                            own.By the way,my friend Al Hendrickson,who was with Artie Shaw in 1940-41,asked me if I
                            heard of someone finding the metal stampers of the old Paramount label dating from the '20s
                            in some river bed.I wonder if the master of "China Boy" by Charles Pierce was among them.
                            Tesch's clarinet solo was full of clinkers.Muggsy Spanier and someone names Dick Fiegie were the cornetists.

                            Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote:
                            Bob gave some information about Swenumsen in posting 3997.

                            The only recording listed by Rust for Swenumsen is Black Maria/Rain.

                            Following the Feb 4, 1927 Bix and Tram recording of "Singin' the
                            Blues," many trumpet/cornet players fell under the spell of Bix.
                            Chauncey Morehouse, the drummer in the 1927 Jean Goldkette Victor
                            Recording Orchestra stated, "You couldn't go anywhere in New York
                            without hearing some guy trying to play like Bix. They copied his
                            tone, his attack, his figures. Some guys tried to take his stuff right
                            off the records. Others just came and listened. It was amazing."

                            From Swenumsen solo in "Black Maria" it is clear that, like so many

                            <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

                            > Thank you for the info on that Bix like cornet solo.Who was Swanny
                            Swenumsem?

                            > Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote: "Black Maria" and its
                            reverse, the beautiful tune "Rain", are
                            > available right here, in the redhot jazz website.
                            > http://redhotjazz.com/frank.html
                            > Swanny Swenumsen bears only a superficial resemblance to Bix.
                            >
                            > Albert
                            >
                            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"

                          • Albert Haim
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 1, 2007
                              Dan,

                              Could the recording of "Freshman Hop" that you mention be OKeh 41411
                              with Bill Moore (and Donald Bryan) on trumpet and Benny Goodman on
                              clarinet? If so, then it was released as by Jack Pettis and His
                              Orchestra on OKeh and as Jack Binney and His Orchestra on Parlophone
                              PNY-3406.