Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Other ingredients in jazz (was When did Jazz die?)

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2007
      on 19/3/07 16:31, Albert Haim at alberthaim@... wrote:

      >I am sure you did not mean to provide an exhaustive list of all the
      >ingredients that contributed to the creation of jazz. But I would like
      >to mention two components - that seem so obvious that they are
      >neglected sometimes: the European harmonic structure.

      I don't think it's likely to be a productive thing to discuss on this list,
      but it may be worth recommending anyone interested in the complex origins of
      jazz harmony to the works of Gerhard Kubik: the book 'Africa & the Blues'
      (University of Mississippi Press, 1999) and especially the article 'The
      African Matrix In Jazz Harmonic Practices' in 'Black Music Research
      Journal', Vol. 25 No.1/2 (2005, really published in 2007).

      Prof. Kubik has the inestimable advantage over most people who have written
      on this subject of having a comprehensive knowledge of African musical
      practices. He is also one of the world's leading experts on the processes of
      cultural transmission. So he's a bit over-qualified in terms of jazz
      scholarship!