Re: Why do we know so little about Odell Rand?

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
      Thank you to Howard. I see, once again, the by-now expected anomalies
      and contradictions regarding birthdates, but we do now have Alabama as
      a probable birthplace for Rand. No doubt had he come from New Orleans
      the details of his early career would have been gathered more
      assiduously. In an interview published in the 1970s Dick Allen talks
      about how he heard some similarities in Rand's playing to that of Emile
      Barnes. Allen asked Barnes about this, but Barnes said that he had
      never heard of Rand.
      Thanks also to Wouter for listing those musicians with whom Rand
      recorded. He was certainly in demand.
      Michael: the photograph you describe is what I had to go on when saying
      that he had worked with Natty Dominique. I also own a handbill
      advertising a residency that Natty's band played in Chicago. Rand is
      listed in the personnel, which also includes Preston Jackson and Baby
      Dodds. It's not dated, but I think it's from the early 1950s.
      Robert G.
    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
        <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

        > Thank you to Howard. I see, once again, the by-now expected anomalies
        > and contradictions regarding birthdates, but we do now have Alabama
        as
        > a probable birthplace for Rand.

        Oops! Sorry, Howard! You did say in your e-mail that Rand was born in
        Illinois and that it was his parents who were from Alabama. Can we
        conclude, then, that in Rand we have an instance of a musician not born
        in the south but whose style derives from having heard ex-pat New
        Orleanians in Chicago?

        Robert G.