Re: [RedHotJazz] Why do we know so little about Odell Rand?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
      on 9/3/07 11:16, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

      >Or am I wrong, and we do actually know more about him than I think? The
      >usual reference sources give his dates as 1905 – 1960, but never any
      >information regarding his place of birth. He was diminutive in stature,
      >and played clarinet in and around Chicago, recording with The Harlem
      >Hamfats, Big Bill Broonzy, and, I think, Johnny Temple. He worked in
      >the 1950s in bands led by Lil Armstrong and Baby Dodds, and also worked
      >with Natty Dominique. No-one, not even Bill Russell, appears to have
      >interviewed him. Can anyone out there add anything to our knowledge of
      >this interesting musician?

      The only bibliography I've ever found if Paige Van Vorst's Harlem Hamfats
      article in Mississippi Rag (1977). Given that he was active right up to his
      death in Chicago on 22 June 1960 this is remarkable.

      There is a 22 year old Odell Rand, who is a messenger, living with his
      parents at 2 Wabash Avenue, Chicago, in the 1930 census, who could well be
      our man. He was Illinois-born, and his parents were both born in Alabama.

      If this is him, he was Odell D. Rand because so shown in the 1910 census at
      age 11 living at 3612 Federal Street, Chicago.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
        Johnny, or is it Johnnie?, Temple would also be with the Harlem Hamfats. There is a photo of Rand playing with a Natty Dominique-led band in the "scrapbook" (what it says on the spine) "Bill Russell and some Musical Friends". This photo was also used on the sleeve of a Folklyric LP. Scott Yanow, in the "All MUsic Guide" accuses him of being "(a)n erratic player who often slipped out of tune". The AMG also says he usually played e-flat instead of the more usual b-flat clarinet. I seem to recall reading that that was due to his size.

        Michael Rader

        > Or am I wrong, and we do actually know more about him than I think? The
        > usual reference sources give his dates as 1905 – 1960, but never any
        > information regarding his place of birth. He was diminutive in stature,
        > and played clarinet in and around Chicago, recording with The Harlem
        > Hamfats, Big Bill Broonzy, and, I think, Johnny Temple. He worked in
        > the 1950s in bands led by Lil Armstrong and Baby Dodds, and also worked
        > with Natty Dominique. No-one, not even Bill Russell, appears to have
        > interviewed him. Can anyone out there add anything to our knowledge of
        > this interesting musician?
        > Robert Greenwood.

      • Robert Greenwood
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
          Thank you to Howard. I see, once again, the by-now expected anomalies
          and contradictions regarding birthdates, but we do now have Alabama as
          a probable birthplace for Rand. No doubt had he come from New Orleans
          the details of his early career would have been gathered more
          assiduously. In an interview published in the 1970s Dick Allen talks
          about how he heard some similarities in Rand's playing to that of Emile
          Barnes. Allen asked Barnes about this, but Barnes said that he had
          never heard of Rand.
          Thanks also to Wouter for listing those musicians with whom Rand
          recorded. He was certainly in demand.
          Michael: the photograph you describe is what I had to go on when saying
          that he had worked with Natty Dominique. I also own a handbill
          advertising a residency that Natty's band played in Chicago. Rand is
          listed in the personnel, which also includes Preston Jackson and Baby
          Dodds. It's not dated, but I think it's from the early 1950s.
          Robert G.
        • Robert Greenwood
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
            <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

            > Thank you to Howard. I see, once again, the by-now expected anomalies
            > and contradictions regarding birthdates, but we do now have Alabama
            as
            > a probable birthplace for Rand.

            Oops! Sorry, Howard! You did say in your e-mail that Rand was born in
            Illinois and that it was his parents who were from Alabama. Can we
            conclude, then, that in Rand we have an instance of a musician not born
            in the south but whose style derives from having heard ex-pat New
            Orleanians in Chicago?

            Robert G.