Re: [RedHotJazz] Stock Arrangements

  • David W. Littlefield
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2007
      At 09:47 AM 03/06/07 -0500, Andrew Homzy wrote:

      > Does anyone have - or could we compile - a list of stock arrangements
      > (i.e. published) used on recordings?

      This is a topic of abiding interest to me, because stocks both codified and
      documented the styles, it's part of the history of our music (eg. Armstrong and
      Cab used a few bits and pieces of stocks), and it's useful for recreationist
      band musicians to hear how the stocks sounded and should be played.

      I have cataloged most of my 2000-plus CDs, both albums and tracks (I don't have
      any 78s). My tracks databases have a "Chart?" (Yes or No) field which I mark as
      I catalog, whenever I recognize that a stock was used.

      I'll be glad to send the databases to anyone who asks. They are in standard
      .dbf format, so they can be imported into spreadsheets as well as database
      programs.

      I only have a few hundred 20s-early 30s stocks, most of which are pop rather
      than jazz/"hot dance" tunes. My "Twenties" database includes all my 1900-1929
      recordings. "Tunes" includes non-jazz 30s-40s tracks. "Jazz3040" is sort of
      loose.

      It might be neat to have another field "Record Cover", defined as being stocks
      that are essentially transcriptions--eg. Ellington's "It don't mean a thing".
      This field could be troublesome, because many charts of 20s jazz records were
      simplified considerably.

      --Sheik