Yearning

  • Wouter Maréchal
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5 12:03 AM
      Hi all,
      Doing a survey on the song "Yearning" by Joseph Burke / Barny Davis, I found
      out that a few bands recorded this song the year it was published 1925. But
      Joseph C. Smith's Orchestra did record a "Yearning" for Victor in 1919 but
      it is not highlighted so we can't hear it. Anyone out there knows this
      recording and can explain me if there is any resemblance with the
      Burke/Davis composition?
      Thanks.
      Wouter M.

      BTW Sol Hoopii made a recording of this song as well but I can not find it
      in the redhotjazz Sol Whoopii discography.

      Waikiki Hawaiian Trio: Sol Hoopii, sg, v [if present]; poss. Lani McIntire,
      g; poss. Glenwood Leslie, uke; Los Angeles, CA, c. late 1925, Sunset 1095,
      mx 684, (thanks to Malcolm T Rockwell , Dave Stewart)
    • vintagetenor
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5 5:09 AM
        Hi Wouter,

        I have a copy of "Yearning" (Victor 18603) by Jos C. Smith's Orchestra and just gave it a spin.

        It's not the same "Yearning" as the 1925 tune. Victor 18603 is a medley of "Yeaning" and "Spring Time", and the composer credit is Neil Moret and Dave Stamper. It is unclear to me whether or not these are the composers of both tunes on this recording.

        FYI, the "A" side of Vic 18603 is "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" by Selvin's Novelty Orchestra.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9 4:20 AM
          Many thanks, Mike,
          that is something I can work with.
          Do you have you have idea if this track was reissued on cd recently?

          Wouter M.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9 10:02 AM
            Ho Wouter,

            I'm the last person to ask about CD reissues! Sorry about that. But I doubt that there is much of a market for the recordings of Joseph C. Smith's Orch. I keep copies of dance band records such as this because I'm a student of Tin Pan Alley.

            As far as I know, Smith's records aren't really considered "collectible" by most 78 rpm collectors. I think this is because the content is not especially interesting to them musically. But they are, of course, important Tim Pan Alley documentation of the late 1910s and early '20s.