Re: Siamese Jazz musicians?

  • Todd Robbins
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2007
      Daisy and Violet Hilton did both play soprano sax. They can be seen
      and heard playing them in the wedding banquet scene in the movie
      Freaks. By the way, if you pick up the DVD of that film, you will
      see me doing commentary on the 'making of' documentary that is also
      found on that DVD.

      Daisy also played piano and accompanied her sister's sax playing in
      their Vaudeville act. I think they also traveled with a band as a
      novelty act.

      From what I have heard of their playing, I wouldn't call them jazz
      musicians

      Also in the movie Freaks is Johnny Eck, that half boy. He had no
      lower half of his body and got around on his hands. He did lead a
      dance band (he played piano) for awhile in his hometown of Baltimore.

      Todd Robbins

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Nicola Ardenghi" <sahfen@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello everybody,
      > yesterday on the net I've found an article about Daisy and Violet
      Hilton, a pair of conjoined
      > twins who toured the U.S. in vaudeville shows during the 1930's
      as "The Siamese Twins".
      > They also appeared in the movie "Freaks" (1932) along with
      other "original" characters.
      > It is said that they were trained in jazz music and then they
      formed a jazz band (!). This could
      (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e7/