Siamese Jazz musicians?

  • Nicola Ardenghi
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2007
      Hello everybody,
      yesterday on the net I've found an article about Daisy and Violet Hilton, a pair of conjoined
      twins who toured the U.S. in vaudeville shows during the 1930's as "The Siamese Twins".
      They also appeared in the movie "Freaks" (1932) along with other "original" characters.
      It is said that they were trained in jazz music and then they formed a jazz band (!). This could
      be confirmed by this poster (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e7/
      Hilton_012.jpg), where they are pictured holding two saxes. Anyone knows anything more?

      Nicola
    • Todd Robbins
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2007
        Daisy and Violet Hilton did both play soprano sax. They can be seen
        and heard playing them in the wedding banquet scene in the movie
        Freaks. By the way, if you pick up the DVD of that film, you will
        see me doing commentary on the 'making of' documentary that is also
        found on that DVD.

        Daisy also played piano and accompanied her sister's sax playing in
        their Vaudeville act. I think they also traveled with a band as a
        novelty act.

        From what I have heard of their playing, I wouldn't call them jazz
        musicians

        Also in the movie Freaks is Johnny Eck, that half boy. He had no
        lower half of his body and got around on his hands. He did lead a
        dance band (he played piano) for awhile in his hometown of Baltimore.

        Todd Robbins

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Nicola Ardenghi" <sahfen@...>