Earliest electrical jazz recording?

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 11:53 PM
      In his current VJM auction online, Mark Berresford lists Jimmy
      O'Bryant's "Red Hot Mama"/"Drunk Man's Strut" (Paramount 12246) as a
      "Marsh Labs Electric Recording." Is this true?

      I'd thought the Oliver/Morton (Autograph 617) was the earliest known.
      Both of these were recorded by Marsh Laboratories at around the same
      time in late 1924, but is there any evidence the O'Bryant sides were
      electrically recorded?
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4 2:48 AM
        on 4/3/07 7:53, spacelights at spacelights@... wrote:

        >In his current VJM auction online, Mark Berresford lists Jimmy
        >O'Bryant's "Red Hot Mama"/"Drunk Man's Strut" (Paramount 12246) as a
        >"Marsh Labs Electric Recording." Is this true?

        >I'd thought the Oliver/Morton (Autograph 617) was the earliest known.
        >Both of these were recorded by Marsh Laboratories at around the same
        >time in late 1924, but is there any evidence the O'Bryant sides were
        >electrically recorded?

        The O'Bryant's are Marsh Laboratories matrix numbers 677 & 679. Autograph
        617 is matrices 685 & 687.

        Q.E.D. The judgement that it is an electric recording must be aural.

        But this must indicate that Mark has changed his mind about the dating of
        the Autograph test of Muscle Shoals Blues issued on Timeless CBC1-045
        (Ragtime to Jazz 2), which is an electrically recorded Marsh pressing
        showing matrix no. 30. Mark himself dates this in his notes to late 1921
        (presumably on the basis of the matrix number). If he was right this would
        be by far the earliest relevant electrical recording.

      • Robert Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4 2:57 AM
          I've just been listening to my Heritage dubs of these two tracks. I think the recording quality is too good to have been electrically recorded. Probably, "electric" refers to the naked electric light bulb hanging over the band.

          Cheers

          Bob Smith