Re: [RedHotJazz] Birth date of Frank "Big Boy" Goudie

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2007
      on 26/2/07 9:03, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

      > I've recently been listening to the sides multi-instrumentalist Frank "Big
      > Boy" Goudie made after his return from France to the US (San Francisco). The
      > booklet to AM CD50 includes an amazing amount of information (mainly from Ken
      > Mills) on Goudie and gives a birth date of 1893. This is at odds with the 1899
      > date given by Chilton and Grove (adapted from Chilton) or a date of 1898 given
      > by Sam Charters and the NO Family Album. Does anyone know definitely which
      > date is correct?

      You must be using the old Grove because the rewritten entry in New Grove has
      birth, Royville, LA, 13 September 1898. It looks to me as though Grove has
      decided to prefer the 1898 sources to the 1899 ones (rather than having any
      definite information). His SS #5 does not appear to be on file.

      On 9 November 1954, he told a ship's purser he was 55, so he believed he was
      born in 1899 and this is confirmed by his California Death Record which
      gives his birth date as 13 September 1899. Birth dates on death records of
      course only tell you what the person reporting the death believed the dead
      person's birth date to be.

      A quick search under both main variants of his name has failed to locate any
      census entry or his draft registration.