Birth date of Frank "Big Boy" Goudie

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2007
      I've recently been listening to the sides multi-instrumentalist Frank "Big Boy" Goudie made after his return from France to the US (San Francisco). The booklet to AM CD50 includes an amazing amount of information (mainly from Ken Mills) on Goudie and gives a birth date of 1893. This is at odds with the 1899 date given by Chilton and Grove (adapted from Chilton) or a date of 1898 given by Sam Charters and the NO Family Album. Does anyone know definitely which date is correct?

      Goudie seems to have worked mainly as a cornetist in New Orleans and the Houston area from 1915 to 1925, when he moved to France, so the 1899 date isn't impossible, although the earlier date might make him a more intriguing figure than he already is.

      Michael Rader
      Karlsruhe,
      Germany
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2007
        on 26/2/07 9:03, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

        > I've recently been listening to the sides multi-instrumentalist Frank "Big
        > Boy" Goudie made after his return from France to the US (San Francisco). The
        > booklet to AM CD50 includes an amazing amount of information (mainly from Ken
        > Mills) on Goudie and gives a birth date of 1893. This is at odds with the 1899
        > date given by Chilton and Grove (adapted from Chilton) or a date of 1898 given
        > by Sam Charters and the NO Family Album. Does anyone know definitely which
        > date is correct?

        You must be using the old Grove because the rewritten entry in New Grove has
        birth, Royville, LA, 13 September 1898. It looks to me as though Grove has
        decided to prefer the 1898 sources to the 1899 ones (rather than having any
        definite information). His SS #5 does not appear to be on file.

        On 9 November 1954, he told a ship's purser he was 55, so he believed he was
        born in 1899 and this is confirmed by his California Death Record which
        gives his birth date as 13 September 1899. Birth dates on death records of
        course only tell you what the person reporting the death believed the dead
        person's birth date to be.

        A quick search under both main variants of his name has failed to locate any
        census entry or his draft registration.