BURGUNDY STREET/BILL RUSSELL

  • islay77
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2007
      I'm not sure how many musicians like George Lewis listened to
      records,there seems to be anecdotal evidence that not many possessed
      phonographs.It would seem more likely to me that aural evidence of
      similarity in phrasing came from listening to other musicians.However
      even this is probably suspect because i suppose many musicians never
      or rarely heard their contemporaries,except when playing with them,a
      scenario that would be unlikely for two clarinettists.

      It would seem because of their respective career paths that Lewis &
      Dodds would have had little opportunity to hear each other.

      Robert- You obviously feel about Bill Russell like I do,I never for
      once suspected any derogatory feelings on your part.Bill was polite to
      me also,so i suspect we are in the 'same boat'.

      Fraser