Burgundy Street Blues/Mighty Tight Woman

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 23, 2007
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "islay77" <fraser.mccombe@...> wrote:

      > Have borrowed a copy of the Dodds/Sippie Walllace CD but am not sure
      > am any wiser.

      The opening phrase of Dodds' solo on Mighty Tight Woman is very similar
      indeed to what, after the first version made in 1944, became the
      opening phrase to George Lewis's Burgundy Street Blues. This, I
      suppose, raises the question of influence. Did George hear this phrase
      on the Dodds/Wallace record, or are we hearing the results of a
      tradition common to both Dodds and Lewis, of which, reliant as we are
      on records, we can only partially be aware? George Lewis's Burgundy
      Street Blues also owes something (quite a bit, in fact) to Louis' 1927
      Savoy Blues.
      Robert G