I though I heard ... say

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2007
      Where this line came from? I only have two songs with this line Morton
      from 1938 and Edith Johnson's "8 hour woman" from 1929. Is there any
      other songs with this line?
      Tommersl
    • Wouter Maréchal
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007
        Maybe this might help:
        I Thought I heard Cock Robin Say "Nasty Butt, Stinky Butt Take It Away".
        John Davis 1935;

        I Heard The Voice Of A Porc Chop; Jim Jackson 1928
        Liner notes about this last one: "I Heard ... lampoons the old Scottish Hymn
        I Heard The Voice Of Jesus Says, written by Horatius Bonar in 1846."
        See "Good For What Ails You, music of the medecine shows 1926-1937", Old Hat
        records CD-1005;

        Wouter M.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007
          Wouters, that's brilliant, a Scotish Hymn!
          Maybe it's more the source of Jim Jackson and Bogus Ben Convington
          because it's without the word "thought" which maybe gives it a bit
          different meaning and a different context for the people to say such
          phrase. I'm not that strong with my English to know though!

          John Davis yeah! I'll look for it. I wonder maybe there's elsewhere
          place where Davis, "Jelly Roll" Morton and "North" Johnson got the
          line with the "thought" word. Maybe an old source like the hillarious
          twist Convington and Jackson had done to the old Scottish hymn line
          but with the "thought" line.
          Tommersl

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Wouter Maréchal
          <wouter.marechal@...> wrote:

          > Maybe this might help:
          > I Thought I heard Cock Robin Say "Nasty Butt, Stinky Butt Take It
          Away".
          > John Davis 1935;
          >
          > I Heard The Voice Of A Porc Chop; Jim Jackson 1928
          > Liner notes about this last one: "I Heard ... lampoons the old
          Scottish Hymn
          > I Heard The Voice Of Jesus Says, written by Horatius Bonar in 1846."
          > See "Good For What Ails You, music of the medecine shows 1926-1937",
          Old Hat
          > records CD-1005;
          >
          > Wouter M.
          >

          > <Where this line came from? I only have two songs with this line Morton
          > <from 1938 and Edith Johnson's "8 hour woman" from 1929. Is there any
          > <other songs with this line?
          > <Tommersl

        • James O'Briant
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007
            That "I thought I heard Buddy Bolden Say" line comes from before or very
            shortly after 1900. The tune was known as "Funky Butt," and it was a folk
            strain that was borrowed by a lot of different people. It turned up (sans
            lyrics) in the "Saint Louis Tickle," a 1903 rag by "Barney & Seymour," which
            was a pseudonym for Theron C. Bennett.

            Jim O'Briant
            Gilroy, CA
          • Andrew Homzy
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007
              It amuses me to wonder why someone with the name of Theron C. Bennett
              would want to write under the pseudonym of "Barney & Seymour".

              Sorry for the diversion.

              Cheers,

              Andrew Homzy, Montréal