Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Antonia Spaulding

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2007
      >If you have a access to ancestry.com, a New York Passenger List search
      >should give you some useful biographical information.

      According to the passenger list of the S.S. Leviathan leaving Cherbourg on
      28 August 1931 with Eddie South's group, Anthony Spaulding was born in
      Louisville, KY, 2 August 1891.

      This is the only reference I have on file at the moment. If anyone finds
      others, I'd be glad to know.

    • Nicola Ardenghi
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
        Hello everybody,
        I can add some information I've found in the past years during my long researches:

        Anthony (or Antonio/a) Spaulding

        2 aug. 1891: born in Louisville, KY

        1920: with Doc Cook in Chicago;
        1924-early 1925: with Dave Peyton;
        autumn 1925-1927: with Jimmy Wade's Moulin Rouge Syncopators;
        1927: left for Europe with Vernie Robinson's Syncopators, with whom stayed in Madrid;
        c. jul 1928: with Roy Butler, Teddy Brock and dancer Levi Wines in "The Negro Revue",
        which included also Walter Young-t/ Al Wynn-tb (who joined in Copenhagen) and Hurley
        Diemer-d); the revue visited Zurich (Drei Linden Café, Leipzig), Berlin (Himmel und Holler)
        and then Paris;
        early 1929: with Eddie South's Alabamians in Paris;
        1930: with Noble Sissle and with an octet with Tommy Ladnier (Garon, a Paris club); later
        again with South, with whom came back to Chicago.

        That's all I have (if you note any mistakes, please let me know). I like very much
        Spaulding's career, because he has been one of the many jazzmen who helped bringing
        jazz in Europe.

        Nicola Ardenghi
      • Tom Bingham
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
          Thank you all for your invaluable information. I've been in touch with the
          person (Julia Wilson) who made the original inquiry, and she shared some
          details on how this inquiry started, which you might find of interest, as
          well as her gratitude on finding out the solution to this mystery: What
          follows is copied and pasted from three separate messages:

          The reason I got off on this crusade was because I was looking at the liner
          notes from my Eddie South CD. First of all, there's a picture of his band
          (Eddie South and his Alabamians, named after the nightclub where they would
          play in Chicago -- The Alabam). And there's a woman seated near the piano.
          This intrigued me. So I looked at the track listings, and everywhere the
          pianist is referred to as Antonia Spaulding. Now that I look at the picture
          more closely, I see that there's actually a man seated _at_ the piano, and
          the woman is next to him. The woman seems to be part of the band, although
          she isn't holding an instrument (which would be consistent with her being
          the/a pianist).

          The Dutch radio transcript from 1984 specifically refers to Antonia
          Spaulding as South's pianist, and comments on how unusual it was for a woman
          to be an instrumentalist (as opposed to a vocalist), and that nothing more
          is known about her.

          I sent an inquiry to Sherrie Tucker, a professor at U. Kansas who is an
          expert on women jazz instrumentalists from the era (I got her name off the
          web). She said that she knew nothing about Antonia Spaulding, but gave me
          some suggestions on how to go about doing the research.

          Here's my theory: Eddie South's pianist was the reportedly gay Antonio
          Spaulding, aka Joe Spaulding. (BTW, in the picture, the guy at the
          piano looks to be black, so I don't think that "Antonio" was translated from
          another language.) At some point, probably when the recordings were
          originally made, his name was misspelled as Antonia, and this typo was
          perpetuated on future material (hence the liner notes in my CD, the Dutch
          reference, and countless other references on the web). The woman in the
          photograph had some other role, and was a red herring all along.

          I looked at the picture of Anthony Spaulding (in Jimmy Wade's band),
          following the link below. And he doesn't look much like the guy at the
          piano in my picture -- or anyone else in my picture, for that matter. But
          both pictures are old and the features are indistinct, so it's hard to
          tell. I tried taking a picture of the picture in my notes, but it didn't
          come out well enough to be worth sending you. If either of you would like
          to see it, let me know. The photo is credited as "courtesy of Le Hot Club
          De France," so it may be from when South was there playing with Grappelli
          and Reinhardt.
          I just read some interesting stuff by Anthony Barnett about Henry Crowder,
          who apparently was Eddie South's pianist in America before going to Europe
          in 1928. According to this, Antonio Spaulding didn't join up until after
          Eddie South was in Paris, so all the references in my CD liner notes to him
          playing on the American tracks are false. And, most interesting of all,
          there was a very poor photograph of Henry Crowder at the bottom of the web
          page -- and it looks rather like the guy in my photo! So I think the piano
          player in my picture is not Antonia/o Spaulding, but Henry Crowder. For
          what it's worth.

          Here's the Barnett website:
          http://www.abar.net/crowder.html<https://webmail.fredonia.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.abar.net/crowder.html>

          Well, I really need to get back to grading those geometry projects. But
          thanks for your help with all this. I still don't know who the woman in the
          photograph is, and perhaps I never will.

          Julia

          Thanks to all,
          Tom B.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
            >I still don't know who the woman in the
            >photograph is, and perhaps I never will.

            If this is the photo I think it is, we think it's Romy Burke's wife, who was
            a dancer or singer, I forget which off hand, possibly both. This will be on
            Anthony Barnett's web site somewhere.

            Trouble with this theory is that although she is apparently recalled she
            can't actually be located on any passenger list and it's most unlikely she
            swam to and from Europe while her husband took the boat.

          • Gaylon Wardlow
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
              Patrice...I am getting a copy of every thread from the site. I do not wish that much clutter each day. Only when I check in am I interested in replies ona subject.. Please make adjustments to my email address and stop all answers to a subject coming to me. I got 18 in one day. gaylon songwriteredelta@...

              Patrice Champarou <patrice.champarou@...> wrote: > Anthony Spaulding's picture can be found at
              > http://www.redhotjazz.com/wmroinfo.html - looks definitively male to me!

              Great! And this is Jimmy Wade's band with Eddie South, two years before
              "Antonia" was mentioned as the pianist.

              P.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
                Done! Should work at once, or at least in a few minutes.