what was the date?

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2007
      Hello Domingo

      According to "Jazz Directory" (Carey, McCarthy, Venables) Howdy Quicksell did not play banjo on "Toddlin' Blues", and probably not on "Davenport Blues", because he arrived late, half way through Davenport Blues. Probably, he only played on "Magic Blues" and "Nobody Knows What It's All About" at this session.

      Sorry I can't help with The Sioux City Six.

      Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2007
        Domingo,

        The Sioux City Six recorded "Flock O' Blues" and "I'm Glad [not sad]"
        on Oct 9, 1924 in New York. The copper masters were shipped to
        Richmond, IN on Oct 11.

        As to the the Rhythm Jugglers session, Bob's explanation is correct:
        Howdy Quicksell arrived late (he was travelling from Detroit to
        Richmond and missed a train) and did not appear in the recordings of
        "Toddlin' Blues" and the immortal Bix composition "Davenport Blues."

        Albert

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, domingo warner <domingowarner@...>
        wrote:

        > i want to know when it was recorded im sad and a flock of blues by
        the sioux city six,it was october 10 or 11 in 1924?also, did Howdy
        Quickell play banjo with the Bix Rythm Jugglers on Davenport Blues and
        Toddlin Blues in 1925? thanks a lot