what was the date?

  • domingo warner
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8 5:12 PM
      i want to know when it was recorded im sad and a flock of blues by the sioux city six,it was october 10 or 11 in 1924?also, did Howdy Quickell play banjo with the Bix Rythm Jugglers on Davenport Blues and Toddlin Blues in 1925? thanks a lot

    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9 5:35 AM
        Hello Domingo

        According to "Jazz Directory" (Carey, McCarthy, Venables) Howdy Quicksell did not play banjo on "Toddlin' Blues", and probably not on "Davenport Blues", because he arrived late, half way through Davenport Blues. Probably, he only played on "Magic Blues" and "Nobody Knows What It's All About" at this session.

        Sorry I can't help with The Sioux City Six.

        Regards

        Bob Smith

      • Albert Haim
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9 6:08 AM
          Domingo,

          The Sioux City Six recorded "Flock O' Blues" and "I'm Glad [not sad]"
          on Oct 9, 1924 in New York. The copper masters were shipped to
          Richmond, IN on Oct 11.

          As to the the Rhythm Jugglers session, Bob's explanation is correct:
          Howdy Quicksell arrived late (he was travelling from Detroit to
          Richmond and missed a train) and did not appear in the recordings of
          "Toddlin' Blues" and the immortal Bix composition "Davenport Blues."

          Albert

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, domingo warner <domingowarner@...>