Re: [RedHotJazz] Tramp Band

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
      on 14/4/05 2:24, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

      > Tiny Grimes played piano (!) with the Tramp Band in New York City during
      > 1939, but I don't know if he recorded with the band, which then consisted of
      > 7 pieces.
      >
      > Also I don't know if the 1939 date is representative of any recording date
      > by the band.
      >
      > Bob

      The 1937 Master session was their only recording date, but they made films
      in 1938 (Carnival Show) and 1943 (Stormy Weather and 5 Soundies under the
      name Musical Madcaps). The 1943 personnel is known, the 1938 personnel is
      not, but I believe Pinky Johnson was still directing the band at this time
      so he will have been the pianist.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
        on 13/4/05 18:44, Scott Alexander at scott@... wrote:

        > For those who are interested you can hear the Scorpion Washboard Band here:

        Tony Russell tells me that the Crown recording dates quoted in his Country
        Music Discography come from RCA filing generated when RCA pressed the Crown
        discs concerned.

        As the Scorpion Washboard Band sides were not issued by Crown no filing was
        generated for them.

        Sucks.