Re: DOLLY JONES

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
      Just a bit more on Doll, it seems her uncle played drums for Lovie
      Austin circa 1922-3(?). From the Preston Jackson book 'Trombone Man'
      (p 27-8):

      "...I remember Mary Mack and her show opened at the Monogram Theatre.
      Usually Lovie Austin and 'Scotty' played at the Monogram--that was
      the band--just piano and drums, but I think they needed more
      musicians. 'Scotty' the drummer was the uncle of Doll Jones, the best
      woman cornetist I ever heard. Her mother, who was 'Scotty's sister,
      was a cornetist too and she was around at that time, but she was not
      as good as Doll. [the rest of the paragraph seems a bit off-topic, but
      very interesting, so...] Mary Mack carried a New Orleans band which
      played for the show. The personnel of that band was Mutt Carey,
      cornet; Johnny Dodds, clarinet; Steve Lewis, piano ...and Baby Dodds
      may have been the drummer. After that engagement at the Monogram, I
      heard that the New Orleans band split up and Mutt Carey went back to
      New Orleans and Johnny Dodds joined Oliver. Steve Lewis was a great
      pianist and composer and wrote some very good tunes including 'The
      Purple Rose Of Cairo'."
    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:

        > According to the RHJA Emanuel Perez may have recorded (as a member
        of a two part cornet team) with Elgars Creole Orchestra in 1926. Does
        anybody have any more information ?

        Frog CD "Hot Stuff" - Black Chicago Big Bands 1922-1929 (DGF 28),
        released in 1999, still lists the first Elgar cornet as "Possibly"
        Emmanuel Perez.

        The current (2002) Rust omits Perez and firmly identifies Will
        Washington-cornet.

        It's been the only session listed for either of these musicians...
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
          I recall Perez was discounted a long time ago, since he simply couldn't have been present and the listing on Frog was more wishful thinking than anything else. But who was Will Washington?

          Best wishes

          Michael Rader
          Karlsruhe, Germany