Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Who was that?

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007
      on 4/2/07 10:40, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

      I don't have my reference books handy right now but wasn't there a female
      trumpeter on
      some of the later Harlem Hamfats sessions?

      Ann Cooper.

      According to Paige van Vorst's research, which was published in Mississippi
      Rag, she's on both their 1939 Vocalion sessions.
      Bartender's Blues/Ready for The River, 31 March 1939, Vocalion 04870 is a
      good example of her work.

      She was also a member of Lil Armstrong's bands in the 30s, though
      unfortunately not on record. She was in the International Sweethearts of
      Rhythm in the early 40s and is believed to have moved to Canada in the mid
      50s.

    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
        Just a bit more on Doll, it seems her uncle played drums for Lovie
        Austin circa 1922-3(?). From the Preston Jackson book 'Trombone Man'
        (p 27-8):

        "...I remember Mary Mack and her show opened at the Monogram Theatre.
        Usually Lovie Austin and 'Scotty' played at the Monogram--that was
        the band--just piano and drums, but I think they needed more
        musicians. 'Scotty' the drummer was the uncle of Doll Jones, the best
        woman cornetist I ever heard. Her mother, who was 'Scotty's sister,
        was a cornetist too and she was around at that time, but she was not
        as good as Doll. [the rest of the paragraph seems a bit off-topic, but
        very interesting, so...] Mary Mack carried a New Orleans band which
        played for the show. The personnel of that band was Mutt Carey,
        cornet; Johnny Dodds, clarinet; Steve Lewis, piano ...and Baby Dodds
        may have been the drummer. After that engagement at the Monogram, I
        heard that the New Orleans band split up and Mutt Carey went back to
        New Orleans and Johnny Dodds joined Oliver. Steve Lewis was a great
        pianist and composer and wrote some very good tunes including 'The
        Purple Rose Of Cairo'."
      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:

          > According to the RHJA Emanuel Perez may have recorded (as a member
          of a two part cornet team) with Elgars Creole Orchestra in 1926. Does
          anybody have any more information ?

          Frog CD "Hot Stuff" - Black Chicago Big Bands 1922-1929 (DGF 28),
          released in 1999, still lists the first Elgar cornet as "Possibly"
          Emmanuel Perez.

          The current (2002) Rust omits Perez and firmly identifies Will
          Washington-cornet.

          It's been the only session listed for either of these musicians...
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
            I recall Perez was discounted a long time ago, since he simply couldn't have been present and the listing on Frog was more wishful thinking than anything else. But who was Will Washington?

            Best wishes

            Michael Rader
            Karlsruhe, Germany