Re: Who was that? (was "Dolly Jones")

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007
      > Why should you be able to guess it was a woman?

      Apart from the lipstick on her mouthpiece, that is?

      I don't have my reference books handy right now but wasn't there a female trumpeter on
      some of the later Harlem Hamfats sessions?

      Robert G.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007
        on 4/2/07 10:40, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

        I don't have my reference books handy right now but wasn't there a female
        trumpeter on
        some of the later Harlem Hamfats sessions?

        Ann Cooper.

        According to Paige van Vorst's research, which was published in Mississippi
        Rag, she's on both their 1939 Vocalion sessions.
        Bartender's Blues/Ready for The River, 31 March 1939, Vocalion 04870 is a
        good example of her work.

        She was also a member of Lil Armstrong's bands in the 30s, though
        unfortunately not on record. She was in the International Sweethearts of
        Rhythm in the early 40s and is believed to have moved to Canada in the mid
        50s.

      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
          Just a bit more on Doll, it seems her uncle played drums for Lovie
          Austin circa 1922-3(?). From the Preston Jackson book 'Trombone Man'
          (p 27-8):

          "...I remember Mary Mack and her show opened at the Monogram Theatre.
          Usually Lovie Austin and 'Scotty' played at the Monogram--that was
          the band--just piano and drums, but I think they needed more
          musicians. 'Scotty' the drummer was the uncle of Doll Jones, the best
          woman cornetist I ever heard. Her mother, who was 'Scotty's sister,
          was a cornetist too and she was around at that time, but she was not
          as good as Doll. [the rest of the paragraph seems a bit off-topic, but
          very interesting, so...] Mary Mack carried a New Orleans band which
          played for the show. The personnel of that band was Mutt Carey,
          cornet; Johnny Dodds, clarinet; Steve Lewis, piano ...and Baby Dodds
          may have been the drummer. After that engagement at the Monogram, I
          heard that the New Orleans band split up and Mutt Carey went back to
          New Orleans and Johnny Dodds joined Oliver. Steve Lewis was a great
          pianist and composer and wrote some very good tunes including 'The
          Purple Rose Of Cairo'."
        • spacelights
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:

            > According to the RHJA Emanuel Perez may have recorded (as a member
            of a two part cornet team) with Elgars Creole Orchestra in 1926. Does
            anybody have any more information ?

            Frog CD "Hot Stuff" - Black Chicago Big Bands 1922-1929 (DGF 28),
            released in 1999, still lists the first Elgar cornet as "Possibly"
            Emmanuel Perez.

            The current (2002) Rust omits Perez and firmly identifies Will
            Washington-cornet.

            It's been the only session listed for either of these musicians...
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
              I recall Perez was discounted a long time ago, since he simply couldn't have been present and the listing on Frog was more wishful thinking than anything else. But who was Will Washington?

              Best wishes

              Michael Rader
              Karlsruhe, Germany