Re: [RedHotJazz] Who was that? (was "Dolly Jones")

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
      on 3/2/07 19:11, jaykay_4444 at jaykay_4444@... wrote:

      Dolly Jones: the best female horn player I have ever heard - and I've
      heard only one recording of hers. Does any more of her work exist?
      If you didn't know who was playing, you'd never guess it was a woman
      (sorry, ladies).

      Interesting question:

      Why should you be able to guess it was a woman?

      Why should anyone think that a female player would sound distinguishably
      different?

    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007

        > on 3/2/07 12:56, islay77 at fraser.mccombe@... wrote:
        >
        > Does anyone know anything about her?
        >
        > Lots. This is based on the version of my New Grove entry on her which
        > happens to be on my computer:

        Fascinating information--thank you, Howard.

        Laurie Wright's article "Jimmie Noone from the Printed Page" (in
        'Storyville 2000-1') has this item, about a 1931 farewell party in
        Chicago for Noone and his band (soon to leave for New York):

        "Report ([Chicago Defender] 16/5/31 8/2) lists those present at the
        farewell banquet as Irene Edie's Peacock Orchestra (a pianist, she
        became Teddy Wilson's first wife), Earl Hines and band, Louis
        Armstrong and Doll Jones featured..."
      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jaykay_4444" <jaykay_4444@...> wrote:

          > Does any more of her work exist?

          She's considered likely on the Ma Rainey and Her Georgia Band session
          of c. 18-23 May 1925 (Chicago Defender of 23 May lists Dolly as part
          of Ma's group at the Grand Theatre, Chicago). I've not compared these
          sides with the Wynn's Gutbucket Five "When"/"That Creole Band."
        • Mordechai Litzman
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
            According to the RHJA Emanuel Perez may have recorded (as a member of a two part cornet team) with Elgars Creole Orchestra in 1926. Does anybody have any more information ?

            jaykay_4444 <jaykay_4444@...> wrote: Jazz histories acquaint us with reputedly great players who never
            recorded (e.g., Bolden, Perez, Hardy) @...>

          • Robert Greenwood
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007
              > Why should you be able to guess it was a woman?

              Apart from the lipstick on her mouthpiece, that is?

              I don't have my reference books handy right now but wasn't there a female trumpeter on
              some of the later Harlem Hamfats sessions?

              Robert G.
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007
                on 4/2/07 10:40, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

                I don't have my reference books handy right now but wasn't there a female
                trumpeter on
                some of the later Harlem Hamfats sessions?

                Ann Cooper.

                According to Paige van Vorst's research, which was published in Mississippi
                Rag, she's on both their 1939 Vocalion sessions.
                Bartender's Blues/Ready for The River, 31 March 1939, Vocalion 04870 is a
                good example of her work.

                She was also a member of Lil Armstrong's bands in the 30s, though
                unfortunately not on record. She was in the International Sweethearts of
                Rhythm in the early 40s and is believed to have moved to Canada in the mid
                50s.

              • spacelights
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                  Just a bit more on Doll, it seems her uncle played drums for Lovie
                  Austin circa 1922-3(?). From the Preston Jackson book 'Trombone Man'
                  (p 27-8):

                  "...I remember Mary Mack and her show opened at the Monogram Theatre.
                  Usually Lovie Austin and 'Scotty' played at the Monogram--that was
                  the band--just piano and drums, but I think they needed more
                  musicians. 'Scotty' the drummer was the uncle of Doll Jones, the best
                  woman cornetist I ever heard. Her mother, who was 'Scotty's sister,
                  was a cornetist too and she was around at that time, but she was not
                  as good as Doll. [the rest of the paragraph seems a bit off-topic, but
                  very interesting, so...] Mary Mack carried a New Orleans band which
                  played for the show. The personnel of that band was Mutt Carey,
                  cornet; Johnny Dodds, clarinet; Steve Lewis, piano ...and Baby Dodds
                  may have been the drummer. After that engagement at the Monogram, I
                  heard that the New Orleans band split up and Mutt Carey went back to
                  New Orleans and Johnny Dodds joined Oliver. Steve Lewis was a great
                  pianist and composer and wrote some very good tunes including 'The
                  Purple Rose Of Cairo'."
                • spacelights
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:

                    > According to the RHJA Emanuel Perez may have recorded (as a member
                    of a two part cornet team) with Elgars Creole Orchestra in 1926. Does
                    anybody have any more information ?

                    Frog CD "Hot Stuff" - Black Chicago Big Bands 1922-1929 (DGF 28),
                    released in 1999, still lists the first Elgar cornet as "Possibly"
                    Emmanuel Perez.

                    The current (2002) Rust omits Perez and firmly identifies Will
                    Washington-cornet.

                    It's been the only session listed for either of these musicians...
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                      I recall Perez was discounted a long time ago, since he simply couldn't have been present and the listing on Frog was more wishful thinking than anything else. But who was Will Washington?

                      Best wishes

                      Michael Rader
                      Karlsruhe, Germany