Re: [RedHotJazz] More on 'Corrinne Corrina'

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2005
      Hi again,

      There's a book called "Red Head", in which Stephen M. Stroff discusses many of Nichols' recordings. Included among them is "Corrinne Corrinna", and without any discussion Stroff identifies Manone as the trumpet soloist. He also lists Ruby Weinstein on *fourth* trumpet.

      I've listened to Manone's closest recordings as a leader (Barbecue Joe) and also the Cellar Boys, but can't be sure one way or the other, particularly because there's no ready sample of his playing into a mute.

      Cheers

      Michael

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2005
        Many thanks to Michael for his, as ever, perceptive and pertinent
        observations.

        The phrasing, and the slightly sour tone, evident despite the mute, do
        suggest Wingy and playing into a metal Derby on a stand is a N.O. tradition
        however, the sound is nearer to wa-wa which would definitely require a full
        complement in the hand department.

        We are still left with the possibility of Charlie T and the existence of any
        examples of his muted work ?

        Also still left ' Rockin' Chair' undated on RHJ. This is then a different
        session and so who is the fine trumpet behind Wingy ?