Mountain City Blues

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 13, 2007
      On 6/23/27 the above title was recorded with Clarence Wiliam's Orchestra. Is it possible that the two short trumpet solos at appr. 2:04 and 2:27 are by King Oliver?
      (The first solo is open, the second with a mute) The other recording from the same date (Lazy Mama) does not seem to have any solos by Oliver.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 14, 2007
        Hello Mordechai.

        Date is 23 June 1928.

        Rust/Allen ' King Joe Oliver' identifies Allen as open soloist and Oliver as
        muted and only Allen as soloist on 'Lazy Mama'.

        Clarence himself is cited as source for Oliver's presence.

        But I have not relistened yet.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 14, 2007

          Hello Mordechai.

          >Date is 23 June 1928.

          >Rust/Allen ' King Joe Oliver' identifies Allen as open soloist and Oliver as
          >muted and only Allen as soloist on 'Lazy Mama'.

          This is still the view in Laurie Wright's revision. I wouldn't argue with
          it.

        • Mordechai Litzman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 15, 2007
            I want to thank Howard Rye and David Brown for the information. The Oliver solo sounds as good as his 1924 recordings.

            Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote: on 14/1/07 9:17, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:

            Hello Mordechai.

            >Date is 23 June 1928.

            >Rust/Allen ' King Joe Oliver' identifies Allen as open soloist and Oliver as
            >muted and only Allen as soloist on 'Lazy Mama'.

            This is still the view in Laurie Wright's revision. I wouldn't argue with
            it.

          • spacelights
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 15, 2007
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:

              > The Oliver solo sounds as good as his 1924 recordings.

              Interesting--Oliver's solo on "Mountain City Blues" did remind me of
              his work on "Tom Cat" with Jelly Roll Morton, in 1924...
            • Mordechai Litzman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 15, 2007
                Exactly my sentiment. Mountain City Blues is a good tune that I don't think was recorded again in the 20's. I have a nice rendition by the Peruna Jazz Band from Denmark from the 80's, and this is how I discovered the Clarence Williams recording.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 16, 2007
                  Actually there is another jazz recording of the tune by Charlie Troutt (its composer) and his Melody Artists which is up on the Red Hot Jazz archive (http://www.redhotjazz.com/trout.html) - it was only issued on a Harlequin LP in the past. If I recall corectly, one of the editions of Rust described the band as a "hillbilly group" -how wrong can you be?

                  Best wishes,

                  Michael Rader

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 16, 2007
                    on 16/1/07 9:27, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

                    > Actually there is another jazz recording of the tune by Charlie Troutt (its
                    > composer) and his Melody Artists which is up on the Red Hot Jazz archive
                    > (http://www.redhotjazz.com/trout.html) - it was only issued on a Harlequin LP
                    > in the past. If I recall corectly, one of the editions of Rust described the
                    > band as a "hillbilly group" -how wrong can you be?

                    This judgement was probably based on the couplings issued in Britain
                    (Transportation Blues Parts 1-4). It had disappeared by Rust 3, presumably
                    after he heard the others.

                  • Prof_Hi_Jinx
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 16, 2007
                      Charlie Trout (one 't' in the 1930 Census) was residing at Bankhead Highway, Center Hill, Fulton County, Georgia in 1930, white, aged 25, "Clerk, Photo studio", a son of E. O. Trout.

                      His wife was Josephine, aged 21, a Stenographer. They had married a year earlier.

                      Bob