Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Fletcher Henderson's "Easy Money Blues"

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2007
      on 11/1/07 3:31, spacelights at spacelights@... wrote:

      >Hi--the trumpets (I think you refer to) are listed as Rex Stewart and
      >Bobby Stark. Identifying musicians on records is perhaps not my
      >forte, but I'll confidently say that the solo at the beginning is by
      >Stewart, the clean bright lead in the middle by Stark, and the short
      >solo towards the end Stewart again... (interesting arrangement by
      >Benny Carter and brief tenor solo by Coleman Hawkins).

      Walter C. Allen in Hendersonia (p.248) attributes all the solo trumpet to
      Stark.

      However, in his notes to the session, he says, "PanassiƩ says all the
      trumpet solos are by Stark, but some sound to me more like Stewart."

      I imagine Allen went with Stark because he assumed or knew PanassiƩ had
      played them to Stewart, but I can't find the original reference and Walt
      doesn't give one. The record is not in Discographie Critique so it doesn't
      come from there.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      "Fernando Benadon" <ferbenadon@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Who is the truplet soloist in Fletcher Henderson's "Easy Money Blues"
      > (1928)? Any info on this recording would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Many thanks!
      > Fernando

    • Fernando Benadon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2007
        Thank you John and Howard!

        I also think that whoever is soloing first and last is not the same
        player as in the middle passage. Probably Stewart and Stark, then.

        Best,
        Fernando