Fletcher Henderson's "Easy Money Blues"

  • Fernando Benadon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2007
      Hi all,

      Who is the truplet soloist in Fletcher Henderson's "Easy Money Blues"
      (1928)? Any info on this recording would be greatly appreciated.

      Many thanks!
      Fernando
    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2007
        Hi--the trumpets (I think you refer to) are listed as Rex Stewart and
        Bobby Stark. I'll confidently guess that the solo at the beginning is
        by Stewart, the clean bright lead in the middle by Stark, and the
        short solo towards the end Stewart again... (interesting arrangement
        by Benny Carter and brief tenor solo by Coleman Hawkins).

        John

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Fernando Benadon" <ferbenadon@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2007
          on 11/1/07 3:31, spacelights at spacelights@... wrote:

          >Hi--the trumpets (I think you refer to) are listed as Rex Stewart and
          >Bobby Stark. Identifying musicians on records is perhaps not my
          >forte, but I'll confidently say that the solo at the beginning is by
          >Stewart, the clean bright lead in the middle by Stark, and the short
          >solo towards the end Stewart again... (interesting arrangement by
          >Benny Carter and brief tenor solo by Coleman Hawkins).

          Walter C. Allen in Hendersonia (p.248) attributes all the solo trumpet to
          Stark.

          However, in his notes to the session, he says, "PanassiƩ says all the
          trumpet solos are by Stark, but some sound to me more like Stewart."

          I imagine Allen went with Stark because he assumed or knew PanassiƩ had
          played them to Stewart, but I can't find the original reference and Walt
          doesn't give one. The record is not in Discographie Critique so it doesn't
          come from there.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Who is the truplet soloist in Fletcher Henderson's "Easy Money Blues"
          > (1928)? Any info on this recording would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Many thanks!
          > Fernando

        • Fernando Benadon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 11, 2007
            Thank you John and Howard!

            I also think that whoever is soloing first and last is not the same
            player as in the middle passage. Probably Stewart and Stark, then.

            Best,
            Fernando