Re: Jimmie Wade and his Dixielanders (was Sam Morgan's Jazz Band)

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
      No, I think he sings a line that is also heard in one of Jimmie
      Rodgers' songs:
      "T for Texas, T for Tennessee"
      Then I hear him sing : "And T for (Tampa? or Temper?) who thinks the
      world and all of me."
      Isn't there also a later version of this by Punch?
      Robert Greenwood.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Smith" <robert.smith@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Hugh
      >
      > As far as I can decipher the text, it's something like:
      >
      > She, she, the only one I love (twice)
      > She, she, the only one I hug
      > She for Texas, she for Tennessee,
      > She for Denver, or (Darby, willing) all on me.
      >
      > Kind Regards
      >
      > Bob Smith

    • Prof_Hi_Jinx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
        To my ears, Rodgers sings "T for Thelma, who thinks . . etc

        Bob

        wrote:

        > Dear Hugh
        >
        > As far as I can decipher the text, it's something like:
        >
        > She, she, the only one I love (twice)
        > She, she, the only one I hug
        > She for Texas, she for Tennessee,
        > She for Denver, or (Darby, willing) all on me.
        >
        > Kind Regards
        >
        > Bob Smith

      • Peter L. Reid
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2007
          At 02:59 PM 1/6/2007, you wrote:

          >To my ears, Rodgers sings "T for Thelma, who thinks . . etc
          >
          >Bob

          I have 2 takes of "Gates Blues" with Jimmie Wade, Punch is on vocal.
          I also have a take recorded by Punch Miller and His Delegates of
          Pleasure,. recorded in NO in 1962 on American Music AMCD-57, again
          with Punch doing a vocal.
          On the latter version he sings a completely different 1st verse,
          combining "The rivers all in mourning" etc much the same as Sweet
          Emma on the soundtrack of "The Cincinatti Kid" (again with Punch I think)
          The second verse is as follows (to the best of my interpretation)-
          T T for Texas, T T for Tenessee
          T for Texas, T T for Tenessee
          Or is it T for Tampa, who thinks the world & all, of me.

          Peter L.